Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 12:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Yep, type N will be fine for this application

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 07-19-2013, 07:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Worked well Bruce, you should have no trouble with this.

36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-img_1594-gasket-slurry.jpg

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 07-19-2013, 10:10 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Worked well Bruce, you should have no trouble with this.

Attachment 37395
Wow, that is amazing, it matches the granite and is very smooth. What was in your slurry and was that applied in multiple layers?

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 07-20-2013, 05:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Just Portland and a diluted acrylic mix....9:1. That is two light coats...keep a bucket of water and a sponge handy to remove the slurry off the brick as you work.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 07-20-2013, 06:43 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Just Portland and a diluted acrylic mix....9:1. That is two light coats...keep a bucket of water and a sponge handy to remove the slurry off the brick as you work.
Lowes has QUIKRETE Concrete Acrylic Fortifier (Shop QUIKRETE 2 lbs Concrete Acrylic Fortifier at Lowes.com). Is this correct?

Also, I understood your instruction to be a mix of opc and acrylic (no water). Just checking. Is the 9:1 ratio 9 parts opc to 1 part diluted acrylic?

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 07-20-2013, 06:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec1208 View Post
Lowes has QUIKRETE Concrete Acrylic Fortifier (Shop QUIKRETE 2 lbs Concrete Acrylic Fortifier at Lowes.com). Is this correct?

Also, I understood your instruction to be a mix of opc and acrylic (no water). Just checking. Is the 9:1 ratio 9 parts opc to 1 part diluted acrylic?
Oops...no 9:1 was the dilution ratio of the liquid..9 parts water, 1 part acrylic.

That quickcete brand is different than what I have, just cut it by 50% and that will be fine.

As far as what quantity of opc to add..it's not critical. If you make the slurry like a milkshake, you're good. You just want to make sure there is enough porty to coat the insulation. If it is stiffening up just add a splash of cool water

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 07-20-2013, 07:04 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Oops...no 9:1 was the dilution ratio..9 parts water, 1 part acrylic.

That quickcete brand is different than what I have, just cut it by 50% and that will be fine.

As far as what quantity of opc to add..it's not critical. If you make the slurry like a milkshake, you're good. You just want to make sure there is enough porty to coat the insulation.
Thanks, should be able to try out this afternoon. I finished up the smoke chamber yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_28.jpeg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_32.jpeg  

Old 07-20-2013, 07:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have a fig tree too. We make a pizza with green figs, blue cheese and prosciutto.

Gives you an idea what to use those figs for...I'm assuming you need to trim back the tree for chimney clearance...but maybe that's a depth misperception

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 07-20-2013, 07:26 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
I have a fig tree too. We make a pizza with green figs, blue cheese and prosciutto.

Gives you an idea what to use those figs for...I'm assuming you need to trim back the tree for chimney clearance...but maybe that's a depth misperception
Yes, it is overhanging. There's a bumper crop coming in right now thanks for the topping idea. Do you put a sauce on the fig pizza?

Old 07-20-2013, 07:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well, sort of. My wife makes a balsamic reduction...no red sauce on this one, but we do put just a little mutz on there, more for texture.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin