Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 10:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

I'm thinking that he should be able to slide the panel from the inside with no trouble.

The problem with using masory in that small area is there is nowhere to tie in....there's going to be running joints.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 07-18-2013, 11:27 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I agree with you Stonecutter. But, I think that once the two faces are closed up to the proper gap size, (filled with the insulation, and sealed)they will help to hold the brick fragments in place should the mortar fail. Like you, I also think that Bruce could "slide the panel from the inside with no trouble"...... later, if needed .

just say'n

Last edited by Gulf; 07-18-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I'm thinking that he should be able to slide the panel from the inside with no trouble.

The problem with using masory in that small area is there is nowhere to tie in....there's going to be running joints.
I had to re-read what you suggested. I get what you are saying now. Piece of flat steel bent like angle iron, slide it into the back of the gap so that the hidden leg is against the dome, and the exposed leg covers the insulation.

If I get what you're suggesting, Bruce could make it long enough to go all the way around the arch - make some cuts in the back so that he can make it conform to the arch and let the tension hold it in.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes...that's it. A little tricky, but at least it will hold up and do the job. I think it will be easier for Bruce too, since it can be fabricated on the bench, checked for fit and adjusted, whereas unit masonry has to be built in situ.

Thinking about it some more, if one of the bends faced the oven arch, and another bend faced the back of the outer arch, that would add good tension to the plate.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 07-18-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That would work. He could also put a couple stainless tapcons through the metal into the entry arch brick somewhere to hold it. The stainless ones are a bit hard to come by, but they will hold in firebrick if you don't torque 'em in to hard.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Gudday guys
Well this is working well ! Team problem solving seems a more friendly and productive process. I'm sure the sniping will not stop,its a forum, but treated with indifference that such comments deserve it won't make a difference
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 07-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Journeyman

Thanks everyone for jumping in. For anyone trying to learn from this, I assume that had I anticipated the problem I could have custom cut the length of the bricks as I worked my way up.

Sounds like consensus is forming on using a metal facing. Is there a hi-temp chalk or adhesive you would recommend to seal the edges? Would a Ceramic Fiber Rigidizer such as linked below help?

Ceramic Fiber Rigidizer

Thanks again, Bruce

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 07-18-2013, 10:01 PM
Journeyman

One more idea to toss out, how about using a castable to seal gaps?

Rutland 12.5 lbs Tub Castable Cement - Mix With Water (Fire Clay) 2200 degree: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 07-18-2013, 10:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec1208 View Post
Would a Ceramic Fiber Rigidizer such as linked below help?

Im at a loss as to why its called a rigidizer?
I used some on the inside of my gas forge and the fibres didnt real change much at all apart from going blue and wet.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:25 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Im at a loss as to why its called a rigidizer?
I used some on the inside of my gas forge and the fibres didnt real change much at all apart from going blue and wet.
Thanks brickie, sounded too easy, any ideas to throw into the pot? Bruce