Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
You make it hard stonecutter ....yes I'd gladly redo your boots but we don't get the American Vibrams in Aust only the European ones....I was thinking on the lines of posting a couple of pics and we get Bruce to do the job
Regards dave
I can send them to Danner, they have a bunch of packages that have different options.

I have great interest in craft/trades that involve a lot of custom handwork, and I have various levels of experience with blacksmithing/metal working, pottery, and woodwork. The cobblers trade has always been interesting to me because of the work involved and we had a few near me in CT. They were old timers that really knew their stuff and resurrected many pairs of battered old work boots..a couple for my dad. Really cool stuff.

Bruce....sorry to get off track.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 07-13-2013, 06:42 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday Bruce
You getting along at a cracking pace now. You would be pleased I'm sure . Really impressed with the trammels , there real inventive. if you ever consider coming out of retirement and need a new career come down under and I'll make a Cobbler out of you!
Regards dave
Dave, I doubt I could ever be a Cobbler in your sense, but I am known to "cobble" things together. This is a pic of me finishing a project I put together for a friend who also had polio. He is more affected than I and needs to sleep and spend much part of the day in a hospital bed. He has been very afraid (almost phobic) that power would go out and he would be trapped in the bed. He also could not afford an off the shelf solution and asked me to come up with something. I cobbled together a box that switched between house power and an inverter connected to a retired wheelchair battery. It worked and should keep the bed powered for weeks (enough to get through a hurricaine). I was pretty proud of the result.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_ce6fd716-44d0-4b5e-81e9-a28533215d54.jpg  

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 07-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie M. View Post
This is a great build... it has it all... innovation, community & strong spirit! AND the added bonus of a door idea I can modify for my oven... Thanks!!!!
Annie, thanks for joining in. I am finishing up the door and will post about this shortly. Bruce

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 07-13-2013, 06:51 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post

Bruce....sorry to get off track.
Enjoyed hosting the back and forth. I hope to meet Dave someday either in the States or on his turf. Bruce

Old 07-15-2013, 04:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec1208 View Post
Dave, I doubt I could ever be a Cobbler in your sense, but I am known to "cobble" things together. This is a pic of me finishing a project I put together for a friend who also had polio. He is more affected than I and needs to sleep and spend much part of the day in a hospital bed. He has been very afraid (almost phobic) that power would go out and he would be trapped in the bed. He also could not afford an off the shelf solution and asked me to come up with something. I cobbled together a box that switched between house power and an inverter connected to a retired wheelchair battery. It worked and should keep the bed powered for weeks (enough to get through a hurricaine). I was pretty proud of the result.
Gudday Bruce
Now you have got my attention ... Elec.trickery now that's something I know nothing about. I can change a light bulb but anything over basic 12 volt car power I never touch. I'm a bit respectfully of something you can't see that will kill you and unlike wood and leather and steel you can't use a hammer on it.
I suppose each to there own
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 07-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Journeyman

Well something resembling an arch has emerged. How long should the mortar cure before removing the form?
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_3cee30c7-2224-4d6b-bc41-424652225b79.jpg  

Old 07-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Tomorrow morning will be fine.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 07-16-2013, 10:32 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Tomorrow morning will be fine.
Pulled the forms and did a quick clean up. Still standing.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_1.jpeg  

Old 07-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Journeyman

Finally got around to cleaning the area and tucked in insulation blanket.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_11.jpeg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_12.jpeg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_13.jpeg  

Old 07-16-2013, 09:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Bruce
Now that looks better and better everyday. I can almost smell the bread baking!
I noticed that you have a thermal break between the entranceway and dome and its full of insulation. That's good but the bare surface of the insulation not so good . Those fibres have to be sealed in you can't leave them open to the air. You can fill with a piece of metal tube or channel but that could be hard to shape and get the correct dimension. You also could fill with a pearlite cement mix ...
Anyway that's your thoughts on it ...has anyone else any ideas
Whilst I asking what are you finishing the dome with ( notice I didn't us the term plan either)
Regards dave

My Build

My Door