Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 05:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

The numbers on my diagram are based on a guessimated height of your spring line. You really should measure to get the height...I'm not sure that the span and rise on my drawing will work with what you actually have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 07-11-2013, 06:02 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
The numbers on my diagram are based on a guessimated height of your spring line. You really should measure to get the height...I'm not sure that the span and rise on my drawing will work with what you actually have.
I planned to resize, wanting to leave a wider reveal. Was confused for a second, first thought reference to spring line was to outer arch (floor level) then realized you were referring to spring line of inner arch. Thanks again, Bruce

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 07-11-2013, 06:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec1208 View Post
I planned to resize, wanting to leave a wider reveal. Was confused for a second, first thought reference to spring line was to outer arch (floor level) then realized you were referring to spring line of inner arch. Thanks again, Bruce
They are one in the same.

Remember, if you enlarge the reveal, you create a higher rise...which will widen your span.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 07-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Apprentice

bruce, i have been following your build with great interest. i am just starting my build in southern illinois and read your posts almost daily. you have raised lots of good questions i would never have thought of asking. i have learned a lot from you and all the others on this forum.

it won't be long and you'll be cooking five-star restaurant meals in your oven non-stop. it will make the food on your trip out west (which i also followed with great jealousy) seem like run of the mill diner food.
best of luck on your flue and entry.
jon
Old 07-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Good guesstimate, inner spring line is about 8 1/4". I cut 3 forms but haven't assembled them yet. They have a 14" rise and a 25 inch span. I did a mockup and the pic below is how it ended up. Does it look usable?
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_504691f6-865d-4db7-9ebc-6e927276546f.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_926ca7ed-c41b-449e-826e-e0a5fe81df0d.jpg  

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein

Last edited by Bec1208; 07-11-2013 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Added photos
Old 07-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanoer54 View Post
bruce, i have been following your build with great interest. i am just starting my build in southern illinois and read your posts almost daily. you have raised lots of good questions i would never have thought of asking. i have learned a lot from you and all the others on this forum.

it won't be long and you'll be cooking five-star restaurant meals in your oven non-stop. it will make the food on your trip out west (which i also followed with great jealousy) seem like run of the mill diner food.
best of luck on your flue and entry.
jon
Thanks for the comments. I read through your current thread, very interesting approach. Look forward to watching as you go along. Pay attention to stonecutter's instructions for designing an arch. Haven't mastered it but I wish I had learned these lessons before the working on the inner arch. Let me know if I can help. Good luck with the build. Bruce

Old 07-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Bruce,

No moss grows under you. When you decide to go it is 110%. On the home stretch. Great thread to watch.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 07-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Journeyman

Just to give everyone a laugh, here are Mark 1 and Mark 2 versions of what may or may not resemble a "trammel".
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_5a54caa1-5cc5-4894-bfc9-490ca03a4176.jpg  

Old 07-11-2013, 04:02 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Bruce,

No moss grows under you. When you decide to go it is 110%. On the home stretch. Great thread to watch.
Thanks Russell, I really got the urge to finish after completing the inner arch. It felt like things were downhill from there. Bruce

Here's looking at you.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_105033a0-fd29-4792-bc96-bd318d05c60f.jpg  

Last edited by Bec1208; 07-11-2013 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 07-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Bruce,

Russell, I believe you used a duravent flue. I have an 8" adapter plate and need to work out smoke chamber and mounting the plate. Any thoughts on a simple layout (I recall yours as being fairly intricate)? Bruce