Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 08:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

The molding clay idea is great. Way to think out of the box.

It might also work for other difficult cuts like at the inner arch transition or flue transition.

Do not worry about that hidden brick, the mortar will eventually fall into one of your future pizza's and you will again see the brick.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Well we have a dome happy to be the first to congratulate you!
I wouldn't worry about that mortar its V shaped so its not like it will drop in on anything I recon.
Would like to see some of the inside though. Yes I know its not like some of those perfect fitting brickwork ovens that we all seem to admire.
Myself If I was a betting man my money would be on little cracks in you oven. Those few extra gapes etc will I sorb the movement in the heating and cooling of you oven. Well there is only one way to find out.
So on to the insulation layer? Sparing layer?There seems to be a bit of talk about the importance of insulating in prevention cracking as well . I'm not sure but it wouldnt hurt.
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
Well we have a dome happy to be the first to congratulate you!
I wouldn't worry about that mortar its V shaped so its not like it will drop in on anything I recon.
Would like to see some of the inside though. Yes I know its not like some of those perfect fitting brickwork ovens that we all seem to admire.
Myself If I was a betting man my money would be on little cracks in you oven. Those few extra gapes etc will I sorb the movement in the heating and cooling of you oven. Well there is only one way to find out.
So on to the insulation layer? Sparing layer?There seems to be a bit of talk about the importance of insulating in prevention cracking as well . I'm not sure but it wouldnt hurt.
Regards dave
Dave, Thanks for the congrats. Yes, I pounded the keystone in to the delight and cheers of the crowd, the popping of champagne corks, and the sound of trumpets. Well not so much any of that last part. I will attach pics to this post, fair warning, they aren't pretty (I'm referring to the brick work; not to me). Still I think the dome will support itself and I did keep the dome height right at 19". Still, having it to do over I would take down a few rows rather then try do it the way I did.

I think the next step is to add the extra thermal mass to the dome. Should I add anything to the refractory mortar (like stainless steel needles or firebrick sludge). After insulation, curing , and working out the entry. Somewhere in there waterproofing.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_78a8a726-0413-430d-853f-ea5b1cc8debe.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_bafece02-6438-4fc1-9691-b44fa9a71d27.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_891ba6ef-f51d-4ac9-90bd-3daf00356c99.jpg  

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 07-07-2013, 05:13 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post

Do not worry about that hidden brick, the mortar will eventually fall into one of your future pizza's and you will again see the brick.
I hear it gives it that special DIY WFO flavor.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 07-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec1208 View Post
I hear it gives it that special DIY WFO flavor.
Gudday
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image.jpg
Gapes don't matter
Use stainless needles ..... I wouldn't bother the domes strong enough by its self to hold up the sparging layer. Firebrick sludge .... Don't know it would be the same as the dome for thermal mass I suppose as its firebrick. It would treat the propotions as for the sand ...the agregeate .If you using the store brought high temp mortar ... Perhaps not, as it would possibly effect the strength of the product.
Anyway there my thoughts on that. Again well done on the dome!
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 07-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Gudday
Regards dave
Nice to know my gaps are (as Microsoft would put it) a feature not a bug.

I spent this a.m. cleaning up the oven. I then tackled and the tile saw and I ended up with a bucket of sludge. Anyways here are a few more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_e5c0badd-73bb-4018-b218-333c2d326730.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_ec2078a7-614f-46e9-9ec2-76eabc76986d.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_59ca2ea5-ff30-4e92-abbc-5c90b495ff34.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_edd8afbd-f802-4332-835b-8ce9fdde6ab8.jpg  

Old 07-08-2013, 01:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Kudos on closing the oven.........

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 07-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Kudos on closing the oven.........
Thanks.. I think I will start the cladding tomorrow. Still haven't decided on entry. Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_6debddcf-8bd1-4404-9911-1e1725d3f793.jpg  

Old 07-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Gudday Bruce
What are you using for dome insulation ? I was thinking of thickness of the insulation in relation to the current lip of you oven entrance
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 07-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Gudday Bruce
What are you using for dome insulation ? I was thinking of thickness of the insulation in relation to the current lip of you oven entrance
Regards dave
I will be using CF blanket. Any concerns?