Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec1208 View Post
Any hints on doing keystone?
Interesting shape. I think I would just fill it with mortar. If you have the patience you may be able to whittle a brick to fit in there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Quote:
Beautiful bird, wife loved it. Rainbow lorikeet based on google search. Brickie, are cockies cockatoos?

Worked on the oven today, filled in the dome. Any hints on doing keystone?
Gudday
You'll need some one to give you a hand but hold a bit of cardboard up to the hole both sides and draw the shape. Can't find a pic of mine but it was pretty skinny and a pain to make, but I was determined to have a keystone... You feel a little ripped of by the pizza gods if you don't.
Regards dave
Sorry how that pic get in there bl&@dy I -phone
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image.jpg  

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 07-07-2013 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Bl&@dy I /phone
Old 07-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
Interesting shape. I think I would just fill it with mortar. If you have the patience you may be able to whittle a brick to fit in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
You'll need some one to give you a hand but hold a bit of cardboard up to the hole both sides and draw the shape. Can't find a pic of mine but it was pretty skinny and a pain to make, but I was determined to have a keystone... You feel a little ripped of by the pizza gods if you don't.
Regards dave
Sorry how that pic get in there bl&@dy I -phone
Les, thanks for joining in. I think I may test my patience a bit and do so whittling. If the patience runs out, I hadn't thought that the plug could be made of mortar. When I looked at the picture of the hole I did think the easiest way to finish would be to fill with castable refractory. Do you change the mortar mix for filling gaps like that?

Dave, well the dome came together, hopefully it will hold. I had to do the last few rows partially blind, I couldn't see over the the upper perimeter of the bricks to the lower perimeter. Glad I didn't make the hearth any higher.

We have a small basin in the back of our yard that fills with water. Here are a few pics I've taken of birds in our backyard.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_d0ee1c9b-71ff-4eb1-9932-6eeb5586ebbe.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_bea2f30e-16d6-4999-993f-cc04a1c39a11.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_69405e74-09fb-4884-945b-e84b4a558fb4.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_258f2906-605e-4681-9e9d-3ebd249b221f.jpg  

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 07-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Journeyman

As long as we are sharing bird pics, here are two more.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_96539bff-c061-43a0-b812-21448547e357.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_146f9d7d-ed51-46a7-9dcd-2921cbc2ac7c.jpg  

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 07-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I did think the easiest way to finish would be to fill with castable refractory. Do you change the mortar mix for filling gaps like that?
The castable you need for a plug of that size isnt made from home brew, it would just crumble and fall out.

Stick the largest piece of brick, or even two pieces in the hole and bog up the rest with home brew.

Nice bird pics too.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Les, thanks for joining in. I think I may test my patience a bit and do so whittling. If the patience runs out, I hadn't thought that the plug could be made of mortar. When I looked at the picture of the hole I did think the easiest way to finish would be to fill with castable refractory. Do you change the mortar mix for filling gaps like that?
I believe you add stainless steel needles. I never went that route but whole ovens have been cast. Should be no problem for your plug.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I had loads of bird pics but my computer had a mental breakdown sometime ago, I was lucky enough to recover most of the files, some went to binary heaven.

Here is one pic I still have of a galah, nice birds, almost tame in the wild and very gentle.
They hang upside down on the power lines outside my place when it rains an chatter excitedly.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-galah.jpg  

Old 07-06-2013, 10:06 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
The castable you need for a plug of that size isnt made from home brew, it would just crumble and fall out.

Stick the largest piece of brick, or even two pieces in the hole and bog up the rest with home brew.

Nice bird pics too.
Thanks brickie, though I should know better than to start comparing wildlife photos with Australians.

I was wondering about the mortar, seemed like it would show up more on the site if there wasn't some reason for not plugging with mortar.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Exclamation Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Gudday Bruce
Problem is not everyone post there mistakes it seems . You have a goodly collection of brick slithers to pick from why don't you just par them down and pack that hole till it wont take any more. You have kept the mortar thin to date so why stop now and put a big blob in the middle.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 07-07-2013, 07:58 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday Bruce
Problem is not everyone post there mistakes it seems . You have a goodly collection of brick slithers to pick from why don't you just par them down and pack that hole till it wont take any more. You have kept the mortar thin to date so why stop now and put a big blob in the middle.
Regards dave
Les, Dave, and Brickie - talk about an anticlimax. I took out a cup of coffee and it was still warm when I had the plug made to a decent approximation. I had the idea of filling the hole with modeling clay and made a quick form. I used calipers to measure the length and width at the top, middle, and bottom and marked a brick. Four quick cuts and I had a plug that slipped in with about 3/4" above the rim. Two quick nips with the saw and it fit.

By the way, I swear there is brick under the large areas of mortar near the plug.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_ef5c4517-3e6d-43e9-a4da-08e3c8753d1d.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_1a6910cb-f2ef-4a5f-891e-f15327de1a7d.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_d774589b-7e3e-43a7-875b-b97bed5abccd.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_33fd8945-5e0f-431a-b5f0-89e9b4a25a55.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_f24605c9-308b-446b-ad0e-8abf0b6be5ee.jpg