Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 07:52 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday Bruce
That's a bit tricky! Cutting the inside edge off a curve with an angle grinder. Its done now but you take it easy with that thing though.!!!!
So what's the plan now ? I noted the ply already fitted?
Regards Dave
Dave, you flatter me by assuming I have a plan. I finished notching the bricks this am have to head out to meet a friend in a few minutes. For this course I am shimming the bricks with brick cuttings at her then making a sand mound. Hopefully it will all come together when I mortar them into place. Let this be a lesson to newbies to watch their tilt in the final courses. I think the inner radios will be about 5 inches after this course. I post some pics this evening.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 07-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Journeyman

Was able to finish up the "remedial course" today. I think it will work and hopefully get me on track. I had mortar left so put in two bricks starting the next row. I cleaned up the bricks some for the final pics but left the bottom shims in. Looks like the inner radius is about 5". Tomorrow I will take out the form and see how high the dome is.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_50f350a2-d330-4ee8-b7c0-a0bd1e977e23.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_25e741d8-32ad-40c5-9028-bdd41a7ee6b9.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_0becbd92-f405-4e67-ba5f-4c2eaa405119.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_f5153abf-6839-489e-8c93-51e0ebfef086.jpg  

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 07-05-2013, 06:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Bruce
You are sooooo....close!
Do you really want to know the dome hieght at this stage? I've got the feeling your so close to dome closure you would be reluctant to pull any more work down.
If you do want to know the dome height don't pull the ply down. Just drill a hole in the middle of the ply and pool a stick or a stiff piece of wire down to the floor. Measure from that.
Now that you on the final stage the angle change from one row to the next changes radically. Look at those last 2 bricks layed. Angles not right. Imagine a straight edge sat in the opening from side to side in the middle. That's the side taper your going to need.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 07-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Gudday Bruce
You are sooooo....close!
Do you really want to know the dome hieght at this stage? I've got the feeling your so close to dome closure you would be reluctant to pull any more work down.
I will probably pull it down, mostly to check the mortar on the bottom perimeter. I suspect there are some pretty good gaps. I am fairly sure that any tucking I do will have to be from the top. It shouldn't take long to put it back up since there isn't any form on top, and no I don't plan to tear down that last row.

Quote:
Now that you on the final stage the angle change from one row to the next changes radically. Look at those last 2 bricks layed. Angles not right. Imagine a straight edge sat in the opening from side to side in the middle. That's the side taper your going to need.
Regards dave
Thanks for the help determining the taper angle. Wish I had know earlier in the build.

Dave and Stonecutter, by the way, thanks for your concerns and safety warnings. I managed to get through that row without damage to myself. Bruce

Old 07-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday bruce
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image.jpg
Here's a photo of one of my early morning visitors. I feed them a whole meal cracker and honey . If you ignore them they will fly up on your shoulder or head and pull your hair. They don't come every day as I am up and gone before they are out of bed. But the weekends they are always there.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 07-06-2013, 03:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Gudday bruce
Attachment 37088
Here's a photo of one of my early morning visitors. I feed them a whole meal cracker and honey . If you ignore them they will fly up on your shoulder or head and pull your hair. They don't come every day as I am up and gone before they are out of bed. But the weekends they are always there.
Regards dave
Cheeky little buggers arent they Dave.....
We used to feed them here too until the cockies saw the free feed then it was all over.

The cockies stared to destroy everything in site and scared off everything else, I even made a feeder that the cockies couldnt fit into but the still managed.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Al
I only feed these little fellas, we did do the bird feeder thing at one time but the undoing was the Peacefully doves not the Cockies. There a cute little bird that hangs around in prs and coo very softly. That's until the population explosion that comes about with the free feed. Then a suburban block has 30 prs and the little beggers fornicate on the tin gutter outside your bedroom window at 5 am on a summers morning. The feeding stopped and were back to just a few couples now ...and peace reigns
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 07-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Gudday Al
I only feed these little fellas, we did do the bird feeder thing at one time but the undoing was the Peacefully doves not the Cockies. There a cute little bird that hangs around in prs and coo very softly. That's until the population explosion that comes about with the free feed. Then a suburban block has 30 prs and the little beggers fornicate on the tin gutter outside your bedroom window at 5 am on a summers morning. The feeding stopped and were back to just a few couples now ...and peace reigns
Regards dave
They're just giving you a little encouragement at 5am. Oh, I'm sorry that was jealousy, in that remark.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Gudday bruce
Attachment 37088
Regards dave
Beautiful bird, wife loved it. Rainbow lorikeet based on google search. Brickie, are cockies cockatoos?

Worked on the oven today, filled in the dome. Any hints on doing keystone?
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_baef06c1-2ad3-49a7-addc-e66fc6beefb3.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_72611391-4337-4dfb-900e-968d6480fe76.jpg  

Old 07-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec1208 View Post
Brickie, are cockies cockatoos?
Correct, they will eat all the timber around the feeding area, windows, decking etc, they are in plague proportions in some area due to the reliable water supply.