Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2013, 06:22 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday Bruce

By the way Queensland Won !in fact they kicked butt! That's one apiece now with the final decider in 2 weeks ....go Queensland!!!!
Regards dave
Go Maroons!!! 26-6
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 06-27-2013, 06:39 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday Bruce
Putting on a sparing layer gives you a chance to practice some rendering . I don't find it easy but doable . Basically it's loading up a steel float and with one motion pushing it Up onto the surface and keeping the pressure pushing it up along the surface at 45 degree to the starting point. Once on leave it be,start smoothing it to early and it will fall off. Smoothing comes later when the mortar starts to set. I'm sure you u tube a demo ... A pictures worth a thousand words.
Back on the entrance V no entrance. I would take a few bricks which you can stack on on either side on see how they effect your operation of the oven. Do a dry run with a peel and push around a bit of wood around with a stick and see how it works with and without. Can't hurt but it will not tell how it will ultimately work with a fire in there.
I'm waiting to see that final keystone go in ! Not as daunting now you have gone past the transition is it!!!!
Regards dave
Sounds like a plan. I should be able to pick up more firebricks tomorrow. I hope to be able to finish the current course and get a start on the next. Keystone should be coming soon.

In case I do a chimney, I bought a used durvent 8" adapter plate for about $22. Looked too good to pass up.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image.jpg  

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 06-28-2013, 05:27 AM
Master Builder

I checked out your pictures on Picasa.........Looking good...... What are your plans to close the dome ,wood form, exercise ball etc.....?

KB

Old 06-28-2013, 05:39 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
I checked out your pictures on Picasa.........Looking good...... What are your plans to close the dome ,wood form, exercise ball etc.....?
I'm at the courthouse this am for jury duty. Not sure how long they will keep me.

I'm going to try a beach ball first. If that doesn't work will try an exercise ball. What diameter ball did you use and on what course did you start using it? BTW, thanks for dropping in, good to hear from you again. Congrats for finishing your dome, really nice brickwork. Have you decided on your entry?

Old 06-28-2013, 05:52 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec1208 View Post
I'm at the courthouse this am for jury duty. Not sure how long they will keep me.

I'm going to try a beach ball first. If that doesn't work will try an exercise ball. What diameter ball did you use and on what course did you start using it? BTW, thanks for dropping in, good to hear from you again. Congrats for finishing your dome, really nice brickwork. Have you decided on your entry?
Tending to your civic duty that's good. You be closing the dome soon,hope you don't get sequestered

The beach ball may work, although the diameter will probably be very limited. The exercise ball seem to have an ever changing diameter.............. Good luck, Got to get to work

KB

Old 06-28-2013, 05:54 AM
Master Builder

Ps. on the entry .....Yes.....hope to have pictures later today.

KB

Old 06-29-2013, 04:24 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Well, they kept me for about 4 hours and I was selected for a three day trial starting on Monday. I finished the last course and took some pics. Seems like the dome is closing fairly well. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and let me get some more progress before jury duty starts.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_c4060cce-f763-4bdd-8a84-89e901a5bd5c.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_c3235f9b-d119-4ab6-97ed-4021958f50ed.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_14e7f053-ab66-4c6f-a9b6-56ad0d4430d9.jpg  

Old 06-29-2013, 07:17 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Well, they kept me for about 4 hours and I was selected for a three day trial starting on Monday. I finished the last course and took some pics. Seems like the dome is closing fairly well. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and let me get some more progress before jury duty starts.
Looking good Bruce ...... Congratulations, your transition over the arch turned out with no droop. Most domes see some of the so called dreaded droop. You should be proud.

I got picked for a three day trial as a alternate a few years back. It was a interesting experience, although I wasn't allowed in the deliberation room. I did hang around to see the verdict. Hope you enjoy your civic duty.

Still using the IT I see, mine got useless around the course your about to start. Have you started planning the chimney vent yet?

KB

Old 06-29-2013, 07:45 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Looking good Bruce ...... Congratulations, your transition over the arch turned out with no droop. Most domes see some of the so called dreaded droop. You should be proud.
Thanks, it wasn't pretty but it all came together.

Quote:
I got picked for a three day trial as a alternate a few years back. It was a interesting experience, although I wasn't allowed in the deliberation room. I did hang around to see the verdict. Hope you enjoy your civic duty.
Good chance I will be an alternate. This is a civil trial, which I have limited experience. I worked for the State as a forensic psychologist for about ten years so have experience with criminal trials so I'm looking forward to observing (or participating) in a civil case.

Quote:
Still using the IT I see, mine got useless around the course your about to start. Have you started planning the chimney vent yet?
I tried the beach ball but it isn't going to work. I may try to use the IT for one more course and pick up an exercise ball for the last few courses. Regarding the chimney vent, I picked up a used 8" duravent adapter (see post #272) so will likely go that direction. Dave suggested I try out the oven without a entry (posy 262) and plan to give it a try.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Thanks, it wasn't pretty but it all came together.

Good chance I will be an alternate. This is a civil trial, which I have limited experience. I worked for the State as a forensic psychologist for about ten years so have experience with criminal trials so I'm looking forward to observing (or participating) in a civil case.

I tried the beach ball but it isn't going to work. I may try to use the IT for one more course and pick up an exercise ball for the last few courses. Regarding the chimney vent, I picked up a used 8" duravent adapter (see post #272) so will likely go that direction. Dave suggested I try out the oven without a entry (posy 262) and plan to give it a try.
Gudday
Another way to build a form is this . Cut down your old floor protector to a circle a bit bigger than the circle of your last row of brick. Using you car jack a couple of pieces of wood jack it up till it contacts the dome underneath that last level of brick. Drill a hole thought it and and poke a bit of stick through marked to the top sof the inside of your dome. It's not dead centre don't worry about that for now. Mix up some sand with a bit of the left over fireclay,( it will help make it stick together ) moisten it ( not wet) and use it to make the final shape. You can also fill the space first with old drink or wine bottles to make up the volume. Once you have got you perfect shape cover your "guide" with wet newspaper or plastic and you have a guide to work to.
At he end just release the jack shovel the sand and bottles out clean up the inside and its a done ...dome
But doing it this way the keystone the pain... I would recon dropping the circle of ply at the keystone when the mortars at that first set stage. Then clean up. Go back and you can the be able to trace the top and bottom of the keystone onto a piece of card ( being able to get to both inside and out) which will enable you to cut the keystone to suit.
As always you are the builder and you "call the shots" I'm still half the planet away and hoping my input is helping
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 06-30-2013 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Bloody spelling as usual!!!!