Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne73 View Post

and it sounds like you might need an aprentice to get to the higher parts of the dome for you, dare I say it ....maybe the wife

Bruce,

I hope your apprentice will have prettier toes. Wayne's Pizza maybe a little salty.

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:00 PM
Apprentice

Haha hehe oh my.....prettier toes..I doubt it!
Old 06-21-2013, 08:44 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne73 View Post
G'day Bruce,
Maybe Ive missed something but you'll need to put together a template to build your arch.
This is what most people do.

and it sounds like you might need an aprentice to get to the higher parts of the dome for you, dare I say it ....maybe the wife
Wayne, thanks for the suggestions. I made some forms but had trouble getting them to line up with the actual door. I ended up using the door with wedges underneath and some aluminum flashing over the top. I hope to be able to keep working on my own. I brought the standing issue up to give me a cop out for the erratic mortar work. Bruce

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 06-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Bruce
I recon you know best what you can do my main concern is the wheather. Your summers are about the same as ours the temps are not the worse thing its that humidity that saps you. You take it easy !
Once you get about that arch transition you might consider changing your methods to compensate for the height. You could start to build on a form.
One easy way is to use one of those blow up exercise balls. Put it in the oven blow it up and build to that. I would not be concerned with possible gapes in the mortar , my own dome was built on a form has heaps of gapes and no dome cracks but hairline cracks near the entrance were my mortaring was the best.
At the end a inch of mortar over the dome to lock it in.
Don't ever forget your building a dome which owes it strength to gravity more than the mortar.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 06-22-2013, 06:46 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday Bruce
I recon you know best what you can do my main concern is the wheather. Your summers are about the same as ours the temps are not the worse thing its that humidity that saps you. You take it easy !

Regards dave
Dave, thanks for your concern. Since I can't work very long at a time, I take frequent breaks and cool off. Reminds me of an interview I listened to of a North
Florida bank executive who was retiring after over 50 years (he started as a teller). He was asked what the greatest innovation he had seen in banking over his career (the interviewer clearly expected an answer related to computers). He answered "air conditioning" saying you wouldn't believe how the fans blew all the paper around previously. Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_7279bf22-7677-43ac-9cc4-4eca03a67bf1.jpg  
Gulf likes this.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 06-22-2013, 07:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Smile Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Gudday
Just seen your door in your last pic. I must say that's turned out well! You must be happy with that
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 06-23-2013, 08:22 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
Just seen your door in your last pic. I must say that's turned out well! You must be happy with that
Regards dave
First time I've been upstaged by a door.

I am pretty pleased with it. I haven't had a chance to finish it but I think the hard parts are done. I just hope warping is not a problem. Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_bfa3f80b-2016-41a5-ad11-6229248a27c2.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_50ce6a6f-4fd4-49c3-97f5-8e48165d550e.jpg  

Old 06-24-2013, 02:16 PM
Journeyman

I have an arch. I ended up using the brute force and massive ignorance approach. Will finish up the transition tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_e70e1330-8c7a-49e8-8574-c5b6ce6d544f.jpg  
cobblerdave likes this.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Bruce,

Your persistence and determination is inspiring to me. Keep it up and soon there will be an oven for you.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 06-24-2013, 09:01 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Bruce,

Your persistence and determination is inspiring to me. Keep it up and soon there will be an oven for you.
Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement. Feels good to see the dome take shape. Bruce