Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 04:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Gudday Bruce
Checked out the pics on the link. 1/2 your luck haven't had a Vance to travell more than an hour or two away in mths life just gets in the way
You enjoy yourself now and stay safe on the roads
Regards Dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Great that you can get away and see the country. Is that a WFO (UFO) in the background at Roswell?

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 05-21-2013, 10:32 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday Bruce
Checked out the pics on the link. 1/2 your luck haven't had a Vance to travell more than an hour or two away in mths life just gets in the way
You enjoy yourself now and stay safe on the roads
Regards Dave
GPS just took us off I 10 and headed northwest. Only 1477 miles to go. We've been fortunate to have had a number of opportunities for travel the past several years. Safari in South Africa in 2008, Tuscany in 2009, Ireland in 2012, and a few weeks in Cabos, Mexico every year. Also have made several trips in USA including Seatle on 3 occasions, the western trip, New Orleans, Austin, San Antonio, and Memphis among others. I will start a thread on the travel section per Dave's earlier comment.

QUOTE=UtahBeehiver;153245]Great that you can get away and see the country. Is that a WFO (UFO) in the background at Roswell?[/QUOTE]

Actually, my theory is that the come to earth for the WFO pizza.

Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-c.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-dscn0400.jpg  

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 05-25-2013, 01:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Lightbulb Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Gudday Bruce
I think I might be on to something here to solve the problem of the non sticking mortar...... Brick dust .....read brick dust not bul@"$it.
I'm still on veneering my oven and I borrowed a chop saw to help with the cuts. I'm a bit " gun shy" of drop saws these days so I did most of the cuts with bulster for the main. Around the chimney I needed small slices to make it work so I cut them with the saw.
Went to mortar them next day first piece put the mortar on and be buggered it fell straight off! Tried a bit more mortar ...same result .
I felt the cut surface of the brick, it was slick , you would have thought someone had oiled it. Then it hit me. The brick dust! The mortar had hydrated the dust on the surface and then the mortar had no surface to key to just this greasy fine clay sludge.
No wonder everyone soaks there bricks to get them the mortar to stick! What there probably doing in some way is to wash that brick dust muck off the surface.
No wonder poor old bricky cannot understand why everyone soaks their bricks to make them stick!!!!
Anyway I scrubed and washed those brick pieces off. Problem solved.... That mortar stuck like " shit to a blanket"( anyone who has had a child will know this)
When you get home check it out I don't think it matters whether you cut wet or dry that slimy dust will be present
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 05-25-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
G
No wonder poor old bricky cannot understand why everyone soaks their bricks to make them stick!!!!
Dave, Ive laid dry cut bricks, and wet cut bricks, Ive laid bricks that have just dust on them and Ive never come across non sticking mortar.
Make the mortar to suit the bricks.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday brickie
No one would doubt you could layer bricks together with dust off the ground and a bit of spit if you had to.
Same mortar, same brick, same mug on the end of the trowel the variable was the brick dust. I'm still suprised its effect.
No it didn't soak the bricks I washed them of and let them dry in the sun and made up fresh mortar.
Yes I did us a squit of dish washing liquid
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 05-25-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Im wasnt chest beating Dave, I just find it surprising that ppl have trouble sticking mortar to a brick, if the mortar is fatty and plastic enough it will stick to anything.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:24 PM
Apprentice

I dont think people soak the bricks to get them to stick, but soak them so the bricks dont suck all the moisture out of the mortar .
Old 06-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Journeyman

Back in town, though rained off and on today. Picked up some modeling clay (ala kbartman) and did a rough layout of the next course. Worked pretty well, though I will need to do some custom cuts.. I also picked up some type N masonary cement and all purpose sand (I already have a bag of fireclay). I will try using home brew for the next course. We enjoyed the road trip, though good to be home for a while. Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_dd3dc556-f4cb-4118-aab0-64c813fcc6a6.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_f7d03f71-0c50-4cb7-89cb-7cd2702df612.jpg  

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 06-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Bruce
Type N mortar should be premix Portland,lime,sand at 1:1:3 with the addition of 1 part fireclay to 5 parts N-type mortar you then have "home brew".
Sorry I didnt realize before that things usually come pre mixed in the states.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door