Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 09:30 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Russell,
I appreciate your interest and have admired your attention to detail in your build. Actually the pizzas were cooked in our oven an a stone. I have been baking bread for the past 20 years or so and would do the occasional pizza with so so results. Over the past year I have been focused on improving my pizza making chops and somewhere along the process I ran across this website. I became intrigued by the idea of building my own oven. I feel like I've jumped into the deep end on this and am depending on the the advice and feedback on this forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 04-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Be sure to ask alot of questions from the forum on your propose square entry. There are some issues mixing angle iron and brick due to thermal expansion differences. I did an arch so I am no expert here so ask the guys and gals on the board. Good Luck.
Welcome aboard the fun wagon Bruce! As Russell (UtahBeehiver) noted, the metal expansion is an issue when you incorporate it into the "heated portion" of the build-since the bricks won't expand nearly as much when heated. I used a square entry for my oven and simply put angle iron across the top of the entry, making sure there was a 1/2" expansion gap (empty space) for the metal on each side. I did not attach the angle iron to anything, it just rests on the side firebricks. Note on the second picture that the bricks immediately above the angle iron simply rest there...again we did not use any mortar to try and secure the bricks to the metal. This way as I heat my oven the metal can expand freely (without taking any of my bricks with it). I've been using the oven weekly for over three years now without any problems.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-p7251234_sm2.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-p7251235_sm2.jpg  
)

Photo albums

Last edited by SableSprings; 04-10-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Journeyman

Dave,
Thanks for the feedback and support. As you may have guessed, I tend to jump in and work things out as I go along. Looks like I need to slow down and work out some details. In terms of the door, I was thinking of using a 18x12 inch heavy gauge roasting pan filled with 2 layers of cf board. Sounds like consensus is that an arch is preferred. While most of the builds documented here seem to use the arch design, I can't recall seeing angle iron builds having problems (other than rust). Looks liked I missed something. I will probably pick up a load of fire brick tomorrow and see what chimney supplies they carry. I was also thinking of having a 12 inch self across the front. Thanks agains, Bruce.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 04-10-2013, 12:16 PM
Journeyman

Mike,
Thanks for the info. Looked at your photos, great build and fantastic bread. The Asiago Loaves look amazing. Hope you keep sharing your expertise and maybe a recipe or two. Bruce

Old 04-11-2013, 03:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Bruce
As you have probably noticed I have a rectangular entrance . Yep real old school. No I have no great cracks frm expansion yes there are cracks in the mortar but no biggies. Yes I have rust but to date no probs even though I am a km off the coast. One day the rust will present probs I have alway suspected but I expected that when I built it so I will solve that then....
Notice I did finally mastered building a arch entrance and have retro fitted one on the front of my oven. I just like the look ... Never did like a square front on a dome. And I like being able to pull of building that arch ... My bricklayer skills are not that good!
My door is hebel... Airated concrete block, carved to suit the irregular shape faced with wood.i like it and it works.
One other thing to mention a flat top on my entrance influenced me to make a wide brick chimney. An arch brings the smoke to the middle of the entrance and is I think more suitable for a steel pipe chimney and probable less depth of the oven entrance from the front of the slab.
Anyway here's my experience ... I hope it gives you some ideas
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-11-2013, 06:55 PM
Journeyman

Dave, if my build comes out anywhere near as well as yours it will only be due to the help of you and the accumulated experience on this site. I took it easy today and still have one side left to bond. In an earlier post you noted the height of the hearth. With insulation and brick the floor will be about 31 inches/78 cm and I hope is high enough so it can be used both by wheelchair users and able bodied.

Once the stand is finished, it seems like I should start a new thread in the Pompeii Oven forum. It seems like the more I learn, the more I recognize how limited my understanding is. It seems like my next step is to figure out what needs to worked out ahead and what can safely be worked out during the process. I also hope people will share some of their experience and help me streamline the process as much as possible. For example, how many bricks can be precut for a level? Anyways, gudday to you and thanks as always for you interest and encouragement. Bruce

Old 04-12-2013, 02:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Exclamation Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Gudday Bruce
YOUR build is an incouragement! Don't move it buddy ....keep it in one place .... It will be a resource for those who come later.

Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-12-2013, 11:06 PM
Journeyman

Rain this am, so had another day in the kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_977701ec-e974-484e-901d-430b91da0eed.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_2d45e5fb-74f6-48f7-ab84-a75eaace13a1.jpg  

Old 04-12-2013, 11:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Bruce
I'm getting the idea why you wanted a wood fired oven!

Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-12-2013, 11:25 PM
Journeyman

Gudday Dave,
The WFO has become a bit of an obsession since I found this site. I've been baking bread for the family for at least 20 and probably closer to 30 years. Since I retired about 2 years ago, I have really tried to up my game and get good reviews from my friends. I'm curious how you caught the WFO bug?
Bruce