Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 06:09 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Brickie (Al), thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
You should only have to butter one side.

I always advocate a small dash of dish washing detergent, it will coat all the particles in the mix and stop them repelling the water.

I worked with so many other bricklayers over the years who absolutely struggled with their mortar and the water bleed off, they would spend all day knocking up the mortar, (remixing) it gets even worse in hot weather.
They can not believe the difference in the mortar when I tell them about using a surfactant in the mix.

5 minutes is plenty of time to mix mortar.
I think the main problem was not using enough motar the first time (when none of the bricks held together), along with too thin and poorly mixed mortar. My second attempt, even with the bleed off appear to have set and look good. So I am at least crawling up the learning curve.

I will try the dish washing detergent and mixing for about 5 minutes with the drill and paddle. Looks like the rain is holding off this a.m. and I should get a chance to give it a try. Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 05-02-2013, 07:05 PM
Journeyman

Was able to mortar most of the way around the perimeter doing some in the am and some this evening. Seems to be going better and mixed the mortar with a little detergent per brickie and used the drill attachment per cobblerdave. I would guess about 3/4 of joints will hold, most of the rest broke when I moved the adjacent bricks and separated the joint. Still, think I am done crawling and now taking baby steps on the learning curve.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_13aae93d-e761-4444-89cb-ae53c9ac22a4.jpg  

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 05-03-2013, 08:07 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec1208 View Post
I would guess about 3/4 of joints will hold, most of the rest broke when I moved the adjacent bricks and separated the joint. Still, think I am done crawling and now taking baby steps on the learning curve.
Rain again today. I pulled up the edges of the tarp and checked the joints. Turns out almost all the joints held together except for two bricks that caught up on the edge of the plywood when I pushed it too far back after the mortar had set. Looking forward to getting to work on the dome.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Bruce
Good to find out that the brick works holding and now and it just down to bond time.
I laughed when you said you were taking baby steps . My wife recons I am going back to childhood.....playing with mud ....fascination with fire!!!!
Regards dave
Sunny day in my part of the planet so back to playing with my brick veneer

My Build

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 05-03-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:50 PM
Journeyman

The rain stopped for awhile so I was able to cut and layout the next course. Can I use the vertical bricks on each side of the entry?
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_5a908c82-00cb-435f-bb38-1f430db68a1c.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_d8eecedc-78d9-4984-bc18-1e09368e24f0.jpg  

Old 05-03-2013, 07:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec1208 View Post
Can I use the vertical bricks on each side of the entry?
You need to work out a way to tie them in to the dome otherwise they may just pop off.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Bruce
Well today went well enough , did however struck one problem. Sanded and roughed up the rest of the dome, what a mess , you should have seem the dust. Took to it with dustpan and brush filled 2/2 bucket of the stuff and still couldn't get it all! Contemplated hosing it off but if I did that it would dry enough to take the mortar. So out with the compresser and air hose. Worked but what a mess all the trees and bushes were covered with a fine powder. The ovens still full of it and even the chickens are sneezing! ( never heard a chicken sneeze before)
Any way still had enough time to get 5 rows done right around and 8 in the front corner.
Least I know that the curved brick layers it will match with the straight ones on the entrance! Going to have to watch those layers as I go around the back as I have adjusted the mortar layer to match them up.
One thing I'm striking even now as you go up the layers and those layer get shorter is that you strike a point where the joints start to line up. So you compensate by adding a 1/4 brick so the joints arnt vertically aligned .
Next layer you'll find about we're you put that other 1/4 brick another is needed.
In the end you have a section of 1/4 bricks going up the same section of the oven. Now that fine for me cause I'm better having them at the back of the oven but for the internal brick work that's the part you see.
You might consider starting each layer at tihe back and working you way to the front so any smaller brick needed it located at the front were its not seen.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 05-04-2013 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Speeling
Old 05-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
You need to work out a way to tie them in to the dome otherwise they may just pop off.
Off and on rain as well as life activities have kept me from getting much done on the build. Dave and others have tried, but brickie finally succeeded in getting my attention regarding the arch transition. As I worked it through, it was clear I had cut the floor edge 4" too short. I spent today changing out a few of the floor bricks which appeared stained and remortared the joints that had not set. I laid out another 4" of brick at the entry. Hope to be able to mortar the second level tomorrow. Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_cfe07995-e0e8-449d-9e89-7172704f83b4.jpg  

Old 05-07-2013, 05:27 PM
Journeyman

Mortared the second course today. Looks like I still need some tips on setting the bricks. Any help?
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_b229470c-226e-457a-a280-9d4a05a0a460.jpg  

Old 05-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Master Builder

Hey Bruce - Are you using an I.T. on your build? You should have the gaps filled with mortar as you go and cleaning the inner faces of the bricks as you go saves a lot of hard work later. Also, having something to stop the gap between the floor bricks and the dome being filled with mortar is good, gaffer tape will work.
I am sure that there are more expert opinions out there but that is my humble 2 cents worth.

It is very satisfying when the dome starts developing and you can see 'real progress'.

Cheers ............. Steve