Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 03:43 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Just go to a metal shop and get one made, its so much easier and less costly.
Brickie, that's plan B in the DYI handbook.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 04-29-2013, 04:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Bruce
5 mm both sides sound better... remember a normal door opening allows 2 to 3mm each side and is not ever going to be heated like your oven door. Remember also that the flat edge will be contacting the brick for the seal. My first door was perfect till used on the hot oven and got stuck, buts it was made of airated cement sheet and it was easy to carve a but more off it. not so with this one.
Forgot about that bottom lip as well that will have to bent/cut it out of the way ?
If this way doesn't work out or becomes all to much work making up another strip might prove to be the easy option. Anyway your the 'man on the ground' so to speak so its really your call ...I will feed you as many ideas as I can.

regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-29-2013, 01:30 PM
Journeyman

Rain today so worked on the door. A recurring theme (or obsession) during the process of this build has been the entry door. At first, I was determined to use angle iron, so I could use an 18" x 12" oven pan to build the entry door. That plan did not survive contact with the forum and I was convinced to build an entry arch. I decided on a design with 8" vertical walls toped by an arch with a 12" apex. Cobblerdave suggested a door design (be sure to open attachments) and prompted me to make my entry door/arch template.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday Bruce
Definitly shim it, you will not get it out otherwise.

Been thinking about you door. So I have put a rough plan together. Now dont laugh Im not a metal worker, but this is what I have come up with.
Attachment 35171
Attachment 35172
Attachment 35173
I built a template for the entry door/arch which is shown in image 1, inside the oven pan I had purchased for the original design. After some back and forth, with cobblerdave and brickie, it looked like I might me able to use the 12"x18" pan as the basis for door. Well today was the day and the battle of man v. metal was on. It was quite a battle, and after quite a struggle (and one sore thumb) I think man prevailed. Okay, actually it was pretty straight forward and not that hard. I made some cuts, used the door/arch template as a form, and hammered like hell. I haven't used any bolts, screws, or rivets as yet to hold it together.

It may not be pretty, but once filled with ceramic fiber board and finished it should be very functional. One of the reasons I wanted to get this far on the door is that I can be sure entry is sized properly to fit.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_74365aec-d68d-4952-b382-a8620fdbab36.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_bfa3f80b-2016-41a5-ad11-6229248a27c2.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_c551a300-8759-4997-a358-0935b26ef6e9.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_001d1a6a-bde5-4cc2-ace9-a7ac9080a92a.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_50ce6a6f-4fd4-49c3-97f5-8e48165d550e.jpg  

ATK406 and Greenman like this.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 04-29-2013, 02:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Bruce
Now that's starting to look very functionable !! Well done. What's the plan from here?
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-29-2013, 03:10 PM
Master Builder

Hey Bruce - That looks like a prime start to a good door. Very clever using something that is part way there.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:18 PM
Journeyman

Thanks, it really did come together without much skill or effort. Bruce

Old 04-29-2013, 03:46 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday Bruce
Now that's starting to look very functionable !! Well done. What's the plan from here?
Regards dave
You mean there's supposed to be a plan?

Let's see,
Cut off bottom off bottom of door/arch template.
Mortar sides of insulation
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
Bruce,

When you get done trimming the Ca Sil to where you want, take your leftover mortar as you lay your bricks and render the sides of the Ca Sil board. The mortar will keep the Ca Sil from getting damaged, broken, dented while you do your dome.
Begin mortaring sides of perimeter bricks.
Start next course, then next course , etc...
Work out thermal break outside inner entry.
Transition, smoke chamber, and chimney.
Outer arch.
Oh, and finish oven door.
Not necessarily in that order.

Dave, what did I miss? Bruce

Old 04-29-2013, 04:52 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec1208 View Post
You mean there's supposed to be a plan?

Let's see,
Cut off bottom off bottom of door/arch template.
Mortar sides of insulation

Begin mortaring sides of perimeter bricks.
Start next course, then next course , etc...
Work out thermal break outside inner entry.
Transition, smoke chamber, and chimney.
Outer arch.
Oh, and finish oven door.
Not necessarily in that order.

Dave, what did I miss? Bruce
Oh, yeah
Lay out ceramic blanket
Use chicken wire and round out dome.
Spread render coat to smooth out.
Waterproof

And create a vent to let water vapor out of dome without letting water in.
cobblerdave likes this.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Don't mortar you first layer of dome / entrance to the insulation .... Let it float so it will expand and contract without cracking anything.

Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-29-2013, 04:57 PM
Journeyman

No mortar at all, or just at sides?