Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 01:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec1208 View Post
I hope those are helping hands.
They sure are, they help hold in the heat.........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:20 PM
Journeyman

Never was able to get to mortaring the perimeter bricks, got side tracked into working on the door/arch template. Leveled it out and added a center arch span. I went ahead and stacked brick across the top. Have a baseball game to go to this evening. Thanks again for all the helpful comments.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_c0bd520e-81bd-497a-93c9-f00fcc961009.jpg  

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 04-27-2013, 08:48 PM
Journeyman

With my 100th post, I decided to recap a timeline for the build.

3/21 slab was poured

3/29 started surface bonding inner bricks

3/31 filled in interior block

4/2 cut 4 layers of cement board to form top of stand with stagger seams

4/6 set angle iron over storage area and reset cement board

4/9 set screws to lock layers of cement board together

4/13 completed stand

I hit the limit for images and will finish in another post.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_5bd17db6-4472-4183-b90a-5e713eb48339.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_edaf6481-d193-4afa-884b-ee0b4461a6fe.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_3fe969d8-22c4-4983-8fe6-917b34a2a986.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_806fd90f-76ba-462f-bf43-b35909b8ece5.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_0d6c00a0-9168-4bda-adda-47890745da76.jpg  

36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_b9efe998-3b1f-4f8e-be3b-54017e301eb5.jpg  

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 04-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec1208 View Post
With my 100th post, I decided to recap a timeline for the build.

3/21 slab was poured

3/29 started surface bonding inner bricks

3/31 filled in interior block

4/2 cut 4 layers of cement board to form top of stand with stagger seams

4/6 set angle iron over storage area and reset cement board

4/9 set screws to lock layers of cement board together

4/13 completed stand

I hit the limit for images and will finish in another post.
4/21 tapered firebricks for perimeter

4/24 finished cutting insulation for floor

4/26 finished cutting floor and set bricks on insulation

4/27 finished arch template - progress to date

Interesting to look back at the steps along the way. I appreciate all the help I have received and am enjoying this experience. Thanks again, Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_3258bcb6-cf31-455a-ac1d-7684f3c4422e.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_6028c34d-6229-4660-b0f4-24e6ac48b736.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_67e4b10a-3120-48a2-8c33-d67edfcc3864.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_f6d9d404-3b28-4de8-8e64-e380b05799ff.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_c0bd520e-81bd-497a-93c9-f00fcc961009.jpg  

Old 04-28-2013, 06:08 PM
Journeyman

Well Dave, you have me working on the door. I just happen to have an 18"x12" aluminum oven pan (what were the odds?) that I could cut using your assembly plan (see image). I can't decide the best way to cut the top so that the wings (spreading out from the apex can be reattached with the rivets or bolts coming out the back. If my cuts don't work out I could get a strip of aluminum sheet and fold it down over the template and attach to the back of the pan. Possible spoiler, I measured the thickness of the aluminum to be 1.77 mm which is between 13 and 14 gauge. Hopefully, it will be adequate. Any thoughts?

Added: After staring at the pan for awhile, it seems easiest solution would be to cut a line following arch on both sides, cut along the diagonal to each corner, and then up from the bottom of the pan through the top lip. Pull the outer sides out, and push down the upper sections to conform to the arch allowing the attached piece from the bottom of the pan to slide inside the arch cut from the rest of the pan bottom. The over lap is used to rivet or bolt the sections together. There will be an inch or two of the arch that will not be covered which can be covered by the material from the sides. Sorry I don't have a diagram, hope the description makes enough sense. After all, what could possibly go wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_74365aec-d68d-4952-b382-a8620fdbab36.jpg  

Last edited by Bec1208; 04-28-2013 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Added to post
Old 04-28-2013, 11:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Bruce
Thickness more than robust, I'm at work at the moment so a bit rushed. The strip of metal sounds good. Don't think I could put down in words how to cut that. Might be best to make another drawing tonight. Have you saved your scrapes of cal sil for the insides
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-29-2013, 02:10 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday Bruce
Thickness more than robust, I'm at work at the moment so a bit rushed. The strip of metal sounds good. Don't think I could put down in words how to cut that. Might be best to make another drawing tonight. Have you saved your scrapes of cal sil for the insides
Regards dave
Hi Dave, good to hear thickness is adequate. I have plenty of cal sil to insulate inside. Looks like I get to use the pan after all. Looking forward to your take on best way to do the cuts. Bruce

Old 04-29-2013, 03:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Bruce
This is scary.....Im not a metal worker at all ....I have no idea it will work and has more to do with making a beading edge on a shoe. but here we go.

36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-bruce-doormk11-001.jpg

So here where the cut to get the "top" of the baking dish firstly and again where to cut so you can tease the remaining piece to gain an arch shape. I'm saying tease but I can really imagine it might need a massage on a heavy surface with a mallet at the least. Remember again this is going into a hot oven it will expand and if it does Will jam in the opening if you dont allow at least 5mm smaller than the opening.

Regards Dave
any Questions?

My Build

My Door

Old 04-29-2013, 03:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Just go to a metal shop and get one made, its so much easier and less costly.
cobblerdave likes this.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:40 AM
Journeyman

Dave, thanks for your help on this. I really appreciate the time and thought you are putting into this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Remember again this is going into a hot oven it will expand and if it does Will jam in the opening if you dont allow at least 5mm smaller than the opening.

any Questions?
I was planning to make the opening .25" (6.3 mm) larger on both sides. Is 5 mm sufficient in total or did you mean on each side?

Thanks, Bruce