Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 01:50 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday Bruce
Easy to remove arch guide. Measure out your size /shape and cut out 2 pieces of ply/chipboard etc, make sure you factor in less in height to account for a couple of thin shims under the bottom.
Screw a couple of battens of wood on to the first template horizontally. Screw the secound template to the wood battens. Take you saw and set to cut through the depth of you template material. Cut through both side of the templates vertically.
The resulting guide now is held together by the wood battens and when the arch is finished is a case of unscrewing the pieces for removal. I have used this twice now and it works well and doesn't take much effort to build.
Screw the arch guide back together and keep it for a door template. As for a door, mine weights 9 kg that's a little heavy and I suspect other types are a little weighty as well. It will just have to be one for the forum when the time comes.
Regards dave
Well I finally got to work on the door/arch template. I made it full size and thought I could cut the bottom down later, when I actually start on the arch. I plan to leave a small gap an either side to allow for expansion of the metal door. Hence wouldn't removing the shims be enough to allow easy removal?
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_7ce7a006-49e5-4146-9613-6b85860d1fcf.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_f6d9d404-3b28-4de8-8e64-e380b05799ff.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein
Old 04-26-2013, 08:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Bruce
Definitly shim it, you will not get it out otherwise.

Been thinking about you door. So I have put a rough plan together. Now dont laugh Im not a metal worker, but this is what I have come up with.
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-door-m1-001.jpg
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-door-m2-001.jpg
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-door-m3-001.jpg

I hope you like the look? I was trying for that 18th centery industrial type effect.
The first question would be about getting the steel and getting it bent. I am sure if you rocked up to the local engineering shop in your chair with a stack of oven pics and a cardboard pattern you would make an impact. I'm sure it wouldn't be to expensive its only a small job.
The handle is made from welders hammer handle they are cheap and easy to obtain. The inner bit covering the cal sil board will have to be made a very loose fit otherwise as it heats up it will jam in your entrance.
The sheet metal fold looks a bit filddly but I sure you could prove the pattern first by constructing the inner skin from cardboard and tape. You could use aluminium sheet it cheap easy to get and easy to cut with pr of tin snips. To get the long bits to fold just clamp along the fold lines two pieces af angle iron and tap it over with a rubber mallet. Flat headed brass bolts with the nuts on the outside face should hold it together and look good. If you reclain a seal from an old oven that would be good but the stuffs easy to get from industry cooking suppliers.
Anyway its a start and like most ideas it will probly spawn a new idea.

Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 04-26-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Lightbulb Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Gudday Bruce
What was I thinking make it all out of aluminum! 2 mm plate for the front face as well you could bent that. Would certainly make it light weight.

Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-26-2013, 09:31 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Gudday Bruce
Definitly shim it, you will not get it out otherwise.
In your post you had both the shim and the vertical cut through the template. I wasn't able to see the need for the vertical cut in addition to the shim. Am I missing something?

Quote:

Been thinking about you door. So I have put a rough plan together. Now dont laugh Im not a metal worker, but this is what I have come up with.
Attachment 35171
Attachment 35172
Attachment 35173

I hope you like the look? I was trying for that 18th centery industrial type effect.
The first question would be about getting the steel and getting it bent. I am sure if you rocked up to the local engineering shop in your chair with a stack of oven pics and a cardboard pattern you would make an impact. I'm sure it wouldn't be to expensive its only a small job.
The handle is made from welders hammer handle they are cheap and easy to obtain. The inner bit covering the cal sil board will have to be made a very loose fit otherwise as it heats up it will jam in your entrance.
The sheet metal fold looks a bit filddly but I sure you could prove the pattern first by constructing the inner skin from cardboard and tape. You could use aluminium sheet it cheap easy to get and easy to cut with pr of tin snips. To get the long bits to fold just clamp along the fold lines two pieces af angle iron and tap it over with a rubber mallet. Flat headed brass bolts with the nuts on the outside face should hold it together and look good. If you reclain a seal from an old oven that would be good but the stuffs easy to get from industry cooking suppliers.
Anyway its a start and like most ideas it will probly spawn a new idea.
Dave, can't tell you how much I appreciate this. I had been thinking in somewhat the same direction but had no idea where to start. Particularly the folding of the metal without investing in more tools. Would not have thought of using the angle iron to do the folds. Love the diagrams. Lots to digest and work through. Would aluminum work?

I like the idea of thermally isolating the front plate as mrchipster described on the second page, post #17.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/28/i...tml#post126601 (Insulated door design...)

I doubt that I can get the floor to sit any better then it already is, so I may forego the butter and slurry sandwich. Any thing I should do or consider before mortaring the perimeter bricks?

“In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein

Last edited by Bec1208; 04-26-2013 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Provided direct link to a post
Old 04-26-2013, 09:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Gudday Bruce
What was I thinking make it all out of aluminum! 2 mm plate for the front face as well you could bent that. Would certainly make it light weight.

Regards dave

My whole door is made from aluminium?

Old 04-26-2013, 09:48 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
My whole door is made from aluminium?
Hi Al,
What gauge or thickness did you use? Bruce

Old 04-26-2013, 10:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Its about 2mm or 16 gaugeish.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Remember that door now, the one with the hands on! pretty cool Brickie

Bruce perhaps another layer of that door seal between the two layers then you would only have the bolts to transmit heat?

Brickie did you include some type of "heat break" in your door?

Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-26-2013, 11:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Its got a sheet of 40mm cal sil inside it.

Edit:-
A pic for Bruce.
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-cooper-therm2.jpg  

Last edited by brickie in oz; 04-26-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:45 AM
Journeyman

Al, good looking door. I hope those are helping hands.