Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 06:04 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: 36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday Bruce
Don't loose that Bio-sol ...... It will come in handy for insulation in your future door.
Regards dave
That's the plan, though still haven't figured out how to fabricate the door so that now that it involves an arch. May have to take a pause this weekend and work it out. Bruce

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out my pictures here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not. ― Albert Einstein
Old 04-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Journeyman

Well in addition to all the questions and dithering over the biosoluble board, I actually made some real progress on the floor. I pretty much wore out the blade doing all the cuts. The darker bricks are still wet from going through the saw. Feels good to manage this much. Bruce
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_75488b63-fbd6-49e8-ad8a-4667742a7e34.jpg  

In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not. ― Albert Einstein
Old 04-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Journeyman

Bruce,
Nice floor moving right along. Consider the sanding I did on my floor I’m really pleased with how my turned out.

KB

Old 04-25-2013, 11:40 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
Bruce,
Nice floor moving right along. Consider the sanding I did on my floor Im really pleased with how my turned out.
Agree that your floor looks very good, could you describe your technique (e.g., type of sander used ect...), either on this thread or on yours? Thanks, Bruce

Old 04-25-2013, 11:53 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec1208 View Post
I tried calculating the lbs per sq. inch placed on the board below the perimeter brick. I expected the result to be low, but not as low as I calculated and this was with higher then expected dome weigh. In addition at least some of the load will be transferred to the remaining board. I hope someone checks my math.

I used the following formula and values:
Weight of dome (estimated to be 2000 lbs)/Area of space between inner and outer perimeter of bricks
The first value was ((pi x 22 squared) - (pi x 18 squared))=503 sq inches
So 2000/503=4 lbs per sq inch.
I'm still hoping someone will check my math on this, still seems very low.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Bruce
Sorry not a big one on the math. Are you going to to build you oven on the hearth brick? If you are this will change the weight distribution as the domes weight will carry more brick surface than it would on a 1/2 brick width.
Anyway I wouldn't be worried as plenty of ovens have gone before and no reports of them sinking into the insulation. Forno builds commercial as we as domestic for sale if there was a problem I am certain they would here about it quik smart from the public.

Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-26-2013, 03:30 AM
Journeyman

Hi Dave,

Quote:
Gudday Bruce
Sorry not a big one on the math. Are you going to to build you oven on the hearth brick? If you are this will change the weight distribution as the domes weight will carry more brick surface than it would on a 1/2 brick width.
Plan to build outside the floor. At this point I am currious as to whether 5 psi is the actual average load based on estimated weight and restricting load bearing surface to the 1/2 brick circle. It seems ridiculously low, particularly considering that much of the load would actually be spread over much more surface area. In fact it sound like I need to tie the dome down to keep it from floating away.

Quote:
Anyway I wouldn't be worried as plenty of ovens have gone before and no reports of them sinking into the insulation. Forno builds commercial as we as domestic for sale if there was a problem I am certain they would here about it quik smart from the public.

Regards dave
That has been my thinking, particularly in relation to Kbartman's worries. My concern was that there might be just enough extra compression in the bio-sol to cause a problem. Doesn't appear to be an issue. So no worries (unless informed otherwise). Looking forward to getting the brick laid out on the hearth so I can make any final adjustments.

A few questions regarding the next step:
1. After I butter the CF board the slurry mix is spread (sounds appetizing). I have a bag of fire clay and also the fire brick dust from the saw. Is there a preference between the two? Also does the coarseness of the sand matter?

2. Many suggestions to mix small amounts of mortar at a time. If I end up needing to mix additional, can I just add mortar mix and water to the bucket and mix or does the bucket first need to be rinsed of any remaining mortar from the first round?

Thanks again for your help. Bruce

Old 04-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Journeyman

I laid out the bricks on the insulation. They are lying flat and level. I took my peel out and it did not have any problems sliding over the floor. One brick has a slight ridge and I can either grind it down or replace with another brick. Taking a break now. Later I will double check for level. Does the slurry serve any purpose beside leveling?
Attached Thumbnails
36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_36395459-f795-40e8-9c07-0e8a34250590.jpg   36" build in Tallahassee - AKA Bruce's Folly-image_b2233e71-4103-4f14-9375-845d49c35578.jpg  

Old 04-26-2013, 11:46 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
I laid out the bricks on the insulation. They are lying flat and level. I took my peel out and it did not have any problems sliding over the floor. One brick has a slight ridge and I can either grind it down or replace with another brick. Taking a break now. Later I will double check for level. Does the slurry serve any purpose beside leveling?
Quote:
Agree that your floor looks very good, could you describe your technique (e.g., type of sander used ect...), either on this thread or on yours? Thanks, Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
Bruce,
No sander involved, just play sand purchased at the local home improvement store. The fire brick and substrate is not perfect has some imperfections causing misalignments and unevenness. Remembering brick pavers and the sanding between the joints I thought the sand would do the same for the floor. The sand flows, thanks to gravity and the spray bottle or water hose on the pavers ( I would not recommend a water hose on the oven floor do to insulation becoming saturated) to fill all the imperfections. As the sand flows downward to fill all imperfection the bricks become tightly locked together. I believe the brick and sand on substrate will behave as one unit with gravity to keep the floor level. As I worked the sand into the joints and rocked the brick to levelness I paid more attention to the corners off the herring bone pattern that the pizza peel would chip easily. I made sure they were below the 45 degree angle of the herring bone pattern to the oven door of adjacent bricks. I started with a rubber mallet to get the sand into the joints, and then tried the spray bottle. It worked wonders to allow the sand to disappear into the voids. Thinking the hammering of the rubber mallet and too much sand could cause to much outward expansion (too much could cause the bricks to expand to the oven walls causing my expansion joint disappear or fail. I was carful around the edges and figure ash would complete the job. As far as gritty pizza I figure a vacuum cleaner to remove just enough sand and ash would fill the left voids and prevent the gritty pizza.
As requested Bruce, floors looking good.
As for the slurry Im not sure I thought it serve mainly as a leveling agent also might have some bonding characteristics. Hence no butter for me.

KB

Old 04-26-2013, 12:05 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
I'm still hoping someone will check my math on this, still seems very low.
My rough estimate: (Math for dummies like me) 1 brick 4.5 x 9= 40.5 sq " 8 pounds each brick X 10 courses over the brick=80 lbs = average weight on each brick around the dome /40.5sq"= 1.97lbs per sq" over the sama area of the substate............I might tie mine down also.

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 04-26-2013 at 12:13 PM.