Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 08:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 32 Igloo Build, Lakeway TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfennigthecat View Post
Well, apparently I can't figure out how to include non-inline pictures

Go to advanced and used the paperclip to attach non inline photos.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:33 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
I think from looking at the original sketch up rendering the counter is on the back side of the oven with what appears to be a gas or charcoal grill in the counter space. But I could be wrong.

Chip
Chip's right -- the oven opens on the other side from the counter. Otherwise I would indeed need a LOOOOONG peel ! Pizza prep will happen on the big deep counter in the pic, then will be carried around to the other side where the pizza chef will be working with a much shorter peel
Old 05-24-2013, 05:45 PM
Laborer

Tscar sold me a bunch o bricks, yay! And my minivan didnt break :-)
Old 05-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Laborer

This is what approximately 1400 lbs of firebrick looks like. About equivalent to having eight full adults over the rear wheels of my minivan. I probably shouldn't have.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:47 PM
Laborer

Due to the texture of my vermicrete layer (rough and loose bits), it would have been pretty hard to level my oven floor. So I decided I needed to do a levelling layer:
1) cut out cardboard showing total outer dimensions, including the opening, and find desired position
2) use old spray paint (green) to outline area
3) make a form from flexible lattice (circle) and scrap 1x2 (opening)
4) mix up some very wet mortar and spread it on

It's probably not perfectly level -- I will probably still need some leveling sand & fireclay under the oven floor bricks. But it should make that step much much easier I think.

I used a somewhat random mortar mix -- about 1/2 quickrete mortar mix, 1/4 fireclay, 1/4 sand -- and mixed it pretty wet so I could spread it. It won't be structural, so probably won't matter. The instructions say to level the floor with just water sand and fireclay after all.

Unfortunately my order of new countertop-mix (need a couple more bags) isn't in yet at Lowes, so not quite ready to pour the oven-level countertops. I want to do this soon to protect the vermicrete layer while I'm jumping all over it making the dome.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:54 PM
Laborer

As seen in the picture above, the opening/arch area seems rather wide. My dimensions:

35" Inner Diameter dome
+ 4.5 brick thickness + 4.5 brick thickness means 44" outer diameter
18.4" Arch opening width
+ 2" reveal + 4.5 brick thickness + 4.5 brick thickness means that my outer dimension of the entry tunnel is 29.4"
11.6" Arch opening height (approx -- can adjust this part later)

My entry tunnel will be 9" (one firebrick) long after getting past the arch. The flue will be about half that and as wide as I can make it reasonably.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:20 PM
Laborer

Will be 33" interior diameter after finding center, making sure soldiers won't go off edge of the level area, etc.

I will put a strip of cardboard around the floor bricks once they're levelled, then mortar the soldiers (half brick high) in place. The cardboard will turn to ash and fill the space between soldier and floor.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:23 PM
Laborer

The chunks of 2x4 will allow a 3.5" gap between the soldiers and the concrete countertops, when I get the materials and pour those in place. Don't want all my heat leaking directly into the countertops! The gap will be filled with insulating blanket and/or vermiculite that covers the dome.

The concrete countertops will but up directly against the entry bricks on the other hand. These bricks are "outside" the oven, and heat loss there is less of a worry.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Laborer

Poured the oven-level counter today, will protect the vermiculite layer so I can climb all over the oven while building the dome. Also will let me return the cement mixer I'm borrowing -- all mortar etc from here on out should be smaller batches only.

I'm doing this a bit backwards from most builds by doing the counters first, but I think it makes sense. Main difficulty is making sure the counters are about level with the top of the floor firebricks and making sure the poured concrete countertops don't but up against the oven itself (would suck all the heat out of the oven). So I built a circular form out of scraps of 2x4 and melamine boards, topping with a flexible strip of synthetic lattice to get the exact right height to match the sides of the form. A bit of effort, seems to have worked perfectly and will give me 3.5 inches between the soldiers and the concrete counters, plenty for ceramic insulation.
Attached Thumbnails
32 Igloo Build, Lakeway TX-p1020747.jpg  
Old 06-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfennigthecat View Post
Poured the oven-level counter today, will protect the vermiculite layer so I can climb all over the oven while building the dome. Also will let me return the cement mixer I'm borrowing -- all mortar etc from here on out should be smaller batches only.

I'm doing this a bit backwards from most builds by doing the counters first, but I think it makes sense. Main difficulty is making sure the counters are about level with the top of the floor firebricks and making sure the poured concrete countertops don't but up against the oven itself (would suck all the heat out of the oven). So I built a circular form out of scraps of 2x4 and melamine boards, topping with a flexible strip of synthetic lattice to get the exact right height to match the sides of the form. A bit of effort, seems to have worked perfectly and will give me 3.5 inches between the soldiers and the concrete counters, plenty for ceramic insulation.
That is quite a bit of counter in front of the oven, I hope you have some long tools.

Chip

Tags
firepit, grill, igloo, texas