Old 10-23-2007, 11:09 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: 1" of Thermal Mass VS. 1" of Insulation

Hi Ken,

I am going through the CDC phase right now, and I am patching the external cracks as I go. I am catching the hairline cracks each day as they appear, and so far, have kept them from getting bigger. We'll see.

It turns out that 1" is the most widely produced thickness, so it is best to just run multiple layers. Overlap the seams, and it will work well.

Two boxes should give you three layers (just about). Go thicker on top, as there is more heat up there.

Have fun!
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Ken and Dave, the good news is that your ovens have a lot of mass and will still heat up quickly. You're there! Insulate the heck out of it, and you are ready to go.
That's great to hear James!

I was getting all worked up for a coat of mortar.... and lots of mixing!

WOOHOO!

Arch and entry way for me!

Thanks for the input everyone.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 10-23-2007, 12:23 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

You can still do a thin coat to seal up the oven, and give it a little structural integrity. You can just put it on with a trowel -- no heavy lifting.
James

Old 10-23-2007, 12:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Hi Ken,
I am going through the CDC phase right now, and I am patching the external cracks as I go. I am catching the hairline cracks each day as they appear, and so far, have kept them from getting bigger. We'll see.
Are you patching the external cracks with RefMix or some sort of high temp goo?

Updated!

Old 10-23-2007, 12:41 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

RefMix. It sets fast, which really helps. Make sure the oven is fully cooled down, and wet the area you are patching before you slop it on.
James

Old 10-23-2007, 12:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
You can still do a thin coat to seal up the oven, and give it a little structural integrity. You can just put it on with a trowel -- no heavy lifting.
James
So the cladding IS structurally necessary (or advisable)?
Old 10-23-2007, 01:08 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

I would put adding thin coating in the advisable category. Definitely nothing thick or heavy. It does not take a lot of time, or material -- and I can't think of a negative.

You will patch up any potential cracks, or spots that might leak a little hot air or smoke.

Would our experiened builders agree with that?

James

Old 10-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey James,

Thanks for the info.

I will probably add a bit to the outside, but do I really need the lime in the mix?

I hate that stuff.

I made one small batch without it, and it seemed to work fine.
I actually couldn't tell the difference.

My costs:

My pics:

Old 10-23-2007, 01:16 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

I hope our pro masons can help out, but my understanding is that lime is for workability, not heat resistance -- which comes from the fireclay.

Is that right?
James

Old 10-23-2007, 03:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

James,

My understanding has always been that lime is used for added workability and stickiness. That's why I often use Type N with Lime (says that on the bag) when working on outdoor vertical surfaces.

Jim