Old 11-08-2013, 02:37 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Roof finishing for Stone House Oven

Those of you who get covered in snow for extended periods of the year have my admiration for resilience. I could not imagine living anywhere that the thermometer went sub zero, even overnight. We are truly blessed to live in the temperate sub-tropics where everyday is an outside day. I would sooner live with the 35 degree C maximum and 4 degree C minimum (spread over the seasons).

I hope your winter is less severe than the pics my Canadian friends sent me last winter.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 11-08-2013, 03:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
Those of you who get covered in snow for extended periods of the year have my admiration for resilience. I could not imagine living anywhere that the thermometer went sub zero, even overnight. We are truly blessed to live in the temperate sub-tropics where everyday is an outside day. I would sooner live with the 35 degree C maximum and 4 degree C minimum (spread over the seasons).

I hope your winter is less severe than the pics my Canadian friends sent me last winter.
You haven't really lived until you are working in temps like that, with your eyes and nose freezing up. Can't forget the wooden toes and fingers either. After being away from a real winter for the last two years, I can say, I don't miss it much....accept pond hockey or sledding with my son.

If the op is still watching his thread.....My father was born in Montreal and lived in Salaberry-de-Valleyfield until he was 16. We would go up every year for Les Régates de Valleyfield..it was great. I miss a good poutine too....nobody does it right down here.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 11-08-2013, 07:58 AM
Apprentice

When spring comes, I don't miss winter either.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:06 AM
Journeyman

I built a metal stud frame and gabled roof. Used cement board (hardi-backer) on roof and sides. Metal lath on sides, then scratch coat, then stone veneer on sides. The roof, I put tar paper down, then asphault shingles. Shingles look great, work great, and are dirt cheap.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Journeyman

I used to be a slate roofer in a past life
I would love to go that route, but my old slate supply is a few days drive away in my dads back yard.
I might have to fish around for some kind of flat stone, slate substitute,locally when I get to that part.