Old 12-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Welcome from Peter

Hi Peter!

Glad to have you actively on Forno Bravo!

Dough here in San Antonio continues to be my favorite pizzaria. He continues to find great, new combinations and ingredients as you saw when we visitied his place last year.

Doug has been visiting VPN pizzarias all over the US and meeting their owners during the past year and is building up quite a knowledge of the WFO pizzaria population in the US. Look forward to having you come back out west.

Bake On!
Jay
Old 12-21-2010, 12:51 PM
Journeyman

I just got Baker's Apprentice from the library 2 days ago. Welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tman1; 12-21-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Master Builder

Hi Peter,
Can I have your autograph, welcome. Looking forward to your insights.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Journeyman

Peter,

after reading the reviews of your books, I am even more psyched about this endeavor. So much so that I just bought The Bread Baker's Apprentice.

When will we see some more material??

Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Welcome aboard!

Old 01-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Journeyman

Welcome Peter!

If everyone on this forum has not read "American Pie" you should. It's a great read and has easy simple stuff. I use the Roman Dough and the uncooked sauce recipe every time. It is fast, easy and just good.

Mike
Old 01-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Journeyman

Welcome Peter!

If everyone on this forum has not read "American Pie" you should. It's a great read and has easy simple stuff. I use the Roman Dough and the uncooked sauce recipe every time. It is fast, easy and just good.

Mike
Old 01-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Laborer

I just made pizza dough because the DeMolay group is coming to my house on Saturday. So 3:00 PM on Wednesday to ferment in the fridge until Saturday am when I will take out and shape into 10 10 oz balls. I will be teaching the boys how to make wood fired pizza at 12:00 noon.

10 10 oz. dough balls means 100 oz of dough the hydration will be 65%

100/1.65= 62.5 oz. or 3# 14.5 oz Bakers Pride Pizza/Bread Flour from Sam's.
40.6 or 2# 8.6 oz. 50 degree well water from Wilton, CA
2% salt or 1.25 oz salt
yeast 1 TBL (I never use less.)

Mix dry ingredients in a tub, and add water. Mix with wooden spatula and then knead by hand until all dry is incorporated. (1-2 minutes.) Refrigerate until 3 hours before use when I will divide into 10 balls, and stretch to form a skin.

I accidentally added 2 oz of salt instead of 1.25 oz.....Should I throw it out or go ahead with it? I calculate 3.2% salt.....way too much????

I will use Cento Tomato Puree which is unsalted for the sauce, and slivers of Precious Mozzarella which I buy in 2 lb blocks from Costco.

I believe in using local,commonly available, or inexpensive ingredients where possible. Tony G. uses ConAgra flour (Bakers Pride) for his Chicago pizza school class. As I get better, I will try the upgraded ingredients, but they gotta be worth the bucks.
Old 01-13-2011, 11:33 AM
Serf

The only way to know for sure is to pull off 10 oz. and do a test bake. I have heard of pizzerias that go up to 3.5% salt with good results, so I won't say throw it out and start over. The salt should slow fermentation in addition to tasting salty, so it may take longer for the dough ball to wake up, but two hours at room temp. should be enough for the test (just the dough ball, not the whole batch). Please write back after you test it and let me know--you may decide that you love the added salt--you never really know about these things. The good news is that you have plenty of time to make a new batch if needed.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacwoodpusher View Post
I just made pizza dough because the DeMolay group is coming to my house on Saturday. So 3:00 PM on Wednesday to ferment in the fridge until Saturday am when I will take out and shape into 10 10 oz balls. I will be teaching the boys how to make wood fired pizza at 12:00 noon.

10 10 oz. dough balls means 100 oz of dough the hydration will be 65%

100/1.65= 62.5 oz. or 3# 14.5 oz Bakers Pride Pizza/Bread Flour from Sam's.
40.6 or 2# 8.6 oz. 50 degree well water from Wilton, CA
2% salt or 1.25 oz salt
yeast 1 TBL (I never use less.)

Mix dry ingredients in a tub, and add water. Mix with wooden spatula and then knead by hand until all dry is incorporated. (1-2 minutes.) Refrigerate until 3 hours before use when I will divide into 10 balls, and stretch to form a skin.

I accidentally added 2 oz of salt instead of 1.25 oz.....Should I throw it out or go ahead with it? I calculate 3.2% salt.....way too much????

I will use Cento Tomato Puree which is unsalted for the sauce, and slivers of Precious Mozzarella which I buy in 2 lb blocks from Costco.

I believe in using local,commonly available, or inexpensive ingredients where possible. Tony G. uses ConAgra flour (Bakers Pride) for his Chicago pizza school class. As I get better, I will try the upgraded ingredients, but they gotta be worth the bucks.
Thank you Mr. Reinhart. Not wanting to sacrifice a whole dough, I took off a piece a little less than a golf ball, put it in a small bowl, and immersed the small bowl in a bowl of 100 degree water. I then fried the dough instead of firing up an oven for such a small piece. I ate the sample, it tasted good, not too salty, but I will go light on the salt in the topping. It did rise and generated frying pan spring. I exposed the crumb with my teeth.
Attached Thumbnails
Welcome from Peter-oversalted.jpg  

Last edited by sacwoodpusher; 01-13-2011 at 05:22 PM. Reason: spulling