Old 05-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: pizza delivery into oven

It appears many chefs here build their pizzas on the peel and have varying degrees of success getting the pie to release into the oven based on a combination of dough hydration, amount/kind of flour, weight of toppings, ambient temperature/humidity, and of course, total time sitting on the peel.

A lot of the YouTube videos show the chef dragging just-built pizzas onto the peel for immediate delivery to the oven. Anyone out there do it this way?
Old 05-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dragging the pie onto the peel takes a tougher dough than most (many?) of us make. A truly delicate Neopolitan dough simply won't take that level of manipulation and will tear. High gluten and thicker crusts will but... Lower hydration will allow more manipulation but even my high gluten doughs are wet enough that dragging onto the peel would be iffy.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks, Jay. Makes sense.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Why fight it just for appearances? There are so many things to learn that it only makes sense that you should use a pan or a screen until you have everything else under control. After the first turn you can remove the pan or screen if you want, but it make very little to no difference in the finished product anyway.

I use pans and screens, both in the kitchen oven and in the WFO at times, even though launching is no big deal. I can turn out more pizzas faster by doing so, and as I stated, there is no difference in the finished pizza.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oh, and those vids of dragging the pie onto the peel? Look at the quantity of ingredients. If you are making sparse neo pies, it works fine, but if you are making anything else, it doesn't work well.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Serf

hmm - I make the pizza on a slab of marble, put a pinch of my rice/semolina mix on my alum. peel, then pull edge of pizza onto peel, give it a shove and it slides right on, have had few problems.

-P
Old 05-24-2011, 07:25 AM
Serf

im of to the lakes this weekend.Ill try the polenta/cornmeal9rice flour if I can find some and report.Thanks for all the useful tips
Old 05-27-2011, 10:04 PM
Serf

do not use cornmeal/polenta...it burns in the oven. flour is your best option.

yes, I drag, or build on the peel. they both work and you always re-shape a pie before you send

I agree, a pizza with mounds of toppings will not "drag" onto a peel well. but the equation, assuming a margherita pizza, is relative to temperature of the dough, hydration and BENCH FLOUR!!! you can drag the dough even with low protein levels (<11.5%), high hydration, cool dough temperature and you have sufficient bench flour!
Old 05-29-2011, 06:52 AM
Serf

Smile Re: pizza delivery into oven

just had the weekend at my shackand had a very successful session delivering pizza using the polenta/cornmeal.
had a good bread ,biscotti,rice pudding session.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:54 PM
Serf

At home you could use a parchment paper. I use cornmeal for years but at this pizza place i used to work at they used parchment paper to keep the ovens a little cleaner and the crust always crisped up just fine and no one new the difference.