Old 08-13-2013, 02:48 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: My New Primavera 60 Part II

I've noticed more then one very dark crust pictures in this thread...okay Burnt. One way to avoid this is by placing a short barrier between the pizza and the flame. I use a few firebricks standing on their side that I can push around with my oven tools. The larger commercial ovens have more distance between the coals and the pizza so they don't need a barrier but the smaller ovens force to to cook your pizza very close to the flame.
I put the bricks in the oven while I do the firing and get them hot also.

Faith
Old 08-13-2013, 03:01 PM
Laborer

Faith,

Nice idea. I think my burnt edges were as much about me taking pictures and doing something else rather than focusing for a minute or two on the pizza! The fire brick idea could be helpful to me.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
I've noticed more then one very dark crust pictures in this thread...okay Burnt. One way to avoid this is by placing a short barrier between the pizza and the flame. I use a few firebricks standing on their side that I can push around with my oven tools. The larger commercial ovens have more distance between the coals and the pizza so they don't need a barrier but the smaller ovens force to to cook your pizza very close to the flame.
I put the bricks in the oven while I do the firing and get them hot also.

Faith
Faith, I use a similar set up to that of your brick in the oven. Because my oven is quite small this little fire holder saves more space and allows air to enter the fire from the bottom.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...tml#post159075 (Refactory Cast Oven New oven build with high density/thermal conductivity material)
Old 08-14-2013, 04:08 AM
Master Builder

I like the teeth, that looks like that would work great. I just leave a bit of space between the bricks for that air flow.

My bricks are multipurpose I tend to use them for all sorts of things in the oven.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Serf

Brad - nice pics! One solution to your problem with the pizza sticking to a metal peel is to spread (or roll - we like them thin) the dough on a piece of parchment paper. We've had make-your-own parties where we prepare a number of pizza dough rounds on pieces of parchment, then place them each on their own cookie sheet. People can "dress" their pies any way they like and we just pull them onto the peel and pop them in one after the other as they are done. You do have to remove the paper after about 20 seconds so it doesn't burn however it makes the whole process so much easier! No one person is stuck all night preparing pizzas and I have the fun part of cooking them (cook's beer included).
Pete
Old 09-16-2013, 09:05 AM
Laborer

That's a great idea! I'll have to try that.

I've started using my wooden peel, and since I know how to use that, it works much better for me, but I'd like to master the metal peel as I learn to operate all of this!

Having a ball with this thing. I just did a low fire non pizza night where I roasted a chicken, some veggies and crab stuffed mushies! They came out great.

I have to say, even though there is a learning curve in how to cook in your wood fired oven, it's a lot easier than I thought. I realized I had a little propane torch - which now lights my fires in nothing flat. This oven is fired and even pizza ready in under an hour without much fuss.

Here are some pics of my last roasting event...
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms:

These came out great! I'm going to do up a recipe on Pizza Quest shortly for this. I also made a pizza that was similar and want to play with that idea some more:

My chicken - rubbed with some oil and seasonings:

Part way through - fire is out, I sat with a beer and turned the pan every so often. It came out very moist and I later used the left overs on a pizza.