Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   The Quest (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f54/)
-   -   How can I stop my pizza dough balls from spreading? (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f54/how-can-i-stop-my-pizza-15823.html)

island girl 05-01-2011 03:57 PM

How can I stop my pizza dough balls from spreading?

I have followed the pizza dough recipes and instructions but have a problem with my individual pizza dough balls "spreading" instead of staying in a ball shape. Could this be due to the the yeast that I'm using? I'm using Fleishmann's yeast for Bread Machines. Or is there another reason? Would really like some advice.

texassourdough 05-02-2011 05:07 PM

Re: How can I stop my pizza dough balls from spreading?

Drop the hydration. When you get it low enough the balls won't spread. You didn't give enough information to give you much more of an answer.

Les 05-02-2011 06:38 PM

Thanks Texas - I have the same problem. I follow the FB recommendations to a tee. Would that also explain why the dough is like a rubber band? I stretch it out and it tries to go back. Weird shapes taste pretty good. ;)

Tscarborough 05-02-2011 07:01 PM

Why is it a problem when the balls spread? Rubber=too much kneading 90% of the time.

scottz 05-02-2011 07:01 PM

I found that if I left the balls on the bench at room temp, they tended to do this, but when I place them in the fridge for a few hours then let them come back to room temp they stay in the ball shape. Give it a try and see if it works.

brickie in oz 05-02-2011 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottz (Post 112210)
I found that if I left the balls on the bench at room temp, they tended to do this, but when I place them in the fridge for a few hours then let them come back to room temp they stay in the ball shape.

Sounds painful.......:eek:

dmun 05-03-2011 04:34 AM

The hydration amount suggested (I use 64) does make a ball that will spread out rather than stay in the sort of ball shape you see in pizzerias. They use low hydration dough because they bake low and slow, and the stiff dough is easier to handle by unskilled workers. Using individual plastic containers will contain your wetter dough ball.

Mitchamus 05-04-2011 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmun (Post 112224)
Using individual plastic containers will contain your wetter dough ball.

Zip lock sandwich bags are good for this...

fishn4daze 05-05-2011 09:05 AM

Island Girl, I bought a whole bunch of glad plastic containers. Easy to store in fridge. Take them out at least 1 hour before using. I get all my ingredients to room temp before building pizza's. The containers also stack well when not using them. 3 cup/ 24 oz. containers work perfect for the 225g to 250g balls I make.

heliman 05-05-2011 10:25 PM

Lower hydration and less yeast should make the dough firmer.