Old 03-14-2011, 12:40 AM
Serf

Default Re: Pompeii in Japan.

Yeah thanks for your message Gianni,

My family and I live about 700km west from the epicenter so we are not affected. We did feel some tremors but not enough to cause any damage. We are all still in shock at the sheer extent of the devastation....it's crazy.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Serf

HI,
I'm just finishing a small cast in place oven here in Shiga-ken. I put the vermiculite insulation layer on today and want to get it rendered in a week or so. What did you use for yours? Is it holding up well in the weather and rain of Japan?
Also, how did you get the flour? I'm jealous.
Scott
Old 09-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Master Builder

Hi Tektonjp,

Good to hear from a fellow WFO builder from the Yakimono capital of Japan. No problams with my stucco yet, with a few typhoons and many hard rains under our belts. Need not be jealous, anything that I know is your, free for the asking. You can get 00 Molino Cuputo flour here. (m.saito@foodliner.co.jp)

Write and tell them what you are interested in and ask for their catalog and you are (In like Flint), if you don't understand this, it a generation thing.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Serf

So it's just regular stucco mix, then?
Thanks for the flour link. I'll check it out. I am hoping ot get my build pics up very soon. I was able to do 24" (60cm) cast in place for about 30,000 yen in materials (including base and insulation). I'm looking forward to the first pie!
I know Flint. I always wanted one of those watches that starts your heart back up!

Last edited by tektonjp; 09-09-2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: addition
Old 09-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Master Builder

Yes, regular stucco, picked up from Joyful Honda. Looking forward to your photos.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Would love to see some pics, tektonjp. Hope everything has stabilized enough to finish your build. My 16yo daughter leaves for Osaka in a week (USA vs Japan 18u swim meet at the Osaka Dome).
John
Old 09-14-2011, 07:18 AM
Serf

Hi John
Still very very hot here in the Kansai area. Even hotter as I cured my vermiculite this evening. Whew. Got my thread up with some pics. Tell me what you think.
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/e...tml#post120550 (Economy 24" cast in place in Japan)
Old 09-14-2011, 07:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

jp,

Your oven reeks of a labor of love. Kudos: with a limited budget you are still making it happen. It just goes to show you that one can build an oven with a hand grinder. Depending on your wood source, I think with your 24" oven you will be inclined to cook outside (unless it's really pouring) often. I'm curious about two things. I wonder how long it's gonna take our oven to cure given the local humidity? And, are you brewing japanese-style lagers or something else? My wife already knows: the first thing I'm gonna do once the oven is completed is get my mash tun and fermenters out and rekindle the homebrew fire!

Thanks for sharing,
John
Old 09-15-2011, 02:02 AM
Serf

Hi John,
Since I am doing a cast in place, I researched and opted for using Asahi Casta (kasuta-). The price has gone up dramatically recently and I missed the boat there, but I have ended up using only two bags (under 10,000 yen) so that is good. The casting cement sets up over night and can be cured in with a slow one day process. It's really just the thing for a budget build, although it is actually 4,500 a bag.

I brew pretty much across the board in styles, though not too many big beers like stouts. I have a pale ale which will be cracked open along with the oven in the next week or two. And I am brewing a German Helles lager this weekend. I love brewing in the winter time, though, cause I can use my wood stove to help me heat up the water for free!
Old 01-10-2012, 01:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Have just returned from Japan, ten days at Nozawa Onsen skiing and four nights in Tokyo. Had a wonderful time. But what I really wanted to tell you was a great Australian product I've been using for about eight years now. I brew 3L of cider a week and there is no bottle washing. Check it out.

Oztops - Home

Tags
finished ovens, pompeii in japan