Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 01:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wood, wood and MORE Wood...

There is a bulk verge collection (green items) in the area and I came across an amazing stash of Red and White Gum, plus some Yellow Box. I have got about 2 years worth of wood stockpiled again - burning about 4 times per week at least. I tried to split the white gum today with a block splitter axe and it just bounced off. It is very green but should be ready in about 4 weeks time. Will need to get my 12T log splitter to sort it out. My brand new Stihl chainsaw also battled to cut it so I used an older 52cc one with a new chain. It struggled a bit but got through it OK>

In the foreground is the Red Gum - it was 40 year old so I was told by the person who planted it. Burns medium speed - no ash - and med/high temp. The White Gum is in the background waiting to be processed.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood, wood and MORE Wood...-wood_1.jpg   Wood, wood and MORE Wood...-wood_2.jpg  

Last edited by heliman; 05-05-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliman View Post
It is very green but should be ready in about 4 weeks time.
If its green I really doubt it would be ready in 4 weeks?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

When split and the weather is right I have used in 3 weeks from green in the past. I start the fire with dry wood and feed the newer logs in once its running smoothly. Actually, the slighly greener stuff tends to make better coals...
Old 05-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Laborer

Quote:
When split and the weather is right I have used in 3 weeks from green in the past. I start the fire with dry wood and feed the newer logs in once its running smoothly. Actually, the slighly greener stuff tends to make better coals...
Crikey, I've never had any success with that sort of time-frame, especially here in the cooler climate.
I get (dry) wood from friends farms in my area, plus the state forest when allowed in, which is all green. This is split and stacked each year in rotating piles, but I wouldn't think about going near it unless it's been sitting for 12 months minimum.
I tend to go through a bit, we have a wood heater in the loungeroom & a big double oven in the kitchen, plus the WFO all makes for a big pile of wood!
Attached Thumbnails
Wood, wood and MORE Wood...-imag0014_resize.jpg  

Old 05-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

That looks like some really good quality wood - what sort is it?

I too use a rotating system and always use the super dry stuff to get things going. Once the oven has been running continuously for a few days the heat inside pretty much gets rid of any retained moisture and it burns perfectly well.

I have been experimenting with small batches that have been drying for various lengths of time to determine optimum time:moisture ratios. The 40c plus temperature days with dry climate in Perth, together with the positioning of my primary wood stack that gets all day sun and wind on it all aid the drying process..
Old 05-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Laborer

Quote:
That looks like some really good quality wood - what sort is it?
That's all red-gum heliman, I couldn't tell you the actual species as there's so many different ones, there's still an awful lot of it around here.

This load is just one of the limbs that had fallen off the bigger tree! the small stuff 2" - 4" dia is perfect for the WFO, usually dead for a long time being where it is on the tree, so very dry!

Old 05-06-2012, 02:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Great - always much better when it's free isn't it!!!

Been splitting some of my newly acquired wood - very hard... even the hydraulic splitter hesitated at times...!!!
Old 05-06-2012, 11:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
This little lot came from home ......the avocado bush was on its way to becoming the avocado tree, shading the neighbours vege garden and the fruit was to high off the ground to collect. So down she came. The stuff grows real fast so it I'll end up being a little lite but it'll burn just the same.
Wood, wood and MORE Wood...-advocardo.jpg
The branchs with the leaves still attach are in the chook pen they'll knock the leaves off those real quik and I'll put them in the mulch,the left over sticks will end up in the WFO as well.

Regards Dave
Old 05-07-2012, 12:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you cut it green, generally you'll need to let it season for 12 months.Keep it for next year.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I remember cutting down green trees for firewood at boarding school. We ended up getting four cuts each on the arse (in the days when corporal punishment was the norm) we all wore three pairs of jeans each, didn't hurt a bit. The wood was really easy to cut and we ended up with half a woodshed full of firewood for the winter.