Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 01:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wood, wood and MORE Wood...

Make sure you don't burn any wood that has been treated. I used to think that if it was hardwood then it would be untreated. Having kept all the trimmings from hardwood deckboards when I built my deck up to the pool, I checked and was informed that they, like most prepared timbers had been treated, so I binned rather than burnt them.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The best wood is free wood.

Since wood fired oven are less picky than wood stoves in what they burn, get out the word to friends and neighbors that you can use odds and ends of wood. Then build a good woodshed to season it in if necessary.

Last edited by Neil2; 05-30-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarA View Post
My father in law is getting a new fence this week so I am or will be the owner of his old fence. I'm not sure how long it is but I think it's about 80-100ft of hardwood.
It will take some time cutting it down to size and moving it but it'll be worth it.
Dear Oscar
Before you do any thing else check on the age of the fence? Here in QLD any hardwood used outside and particularly "in ground" had to be treated from 1984 on... Check the state laws in VIC. Ya never know your luck thats an lota hardwood to go to land fill. My supply to date...Part of an 80 yr old church...and the studs out of 2 small renovations in 50 yr old houses.
I supliment my supply with trimming from various places placed in a cooling oven after cooking to get it good and dry.
Have a small supply of pine on hand when lighting the oven... it catches real fast... but dont burn it after the good stuff catches alight ..spits and goes on..and smells too

Regards Dave
Old 05-30-2011, 02:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hardwood fences arent treated here in Melbourne.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:15 PM
Apprentice

Thanks guys, I was starting to think all that wood was potentially no good. Thanks Brickie and Doug for putting my mind at ease.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dear OscarA

Well there you go... a good supply of well aged hard wood....does it get any better!!!!
Thanks Doug!! Thanks Brickie!!.... local knowlege ya can't beat it

regards Dave
Old 05-31-2011, 05:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Just an update on the latest free wood - undoubtedly of the best I have used. I was cooking 40 mins after starting the fire. Despite burning quickly it produced a wonderful bed of coals. Have scheduled the collection of the remainder of the tree for this Saturday. Too good to miss...
Old 05-31-2011, 12:16 PM
Apprentice

Sounds like a real score, well done.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Apprentice

Hi Doug, I'm a shift worker (Train Driver) and happen to be on morning shift this week.
The oven is at a stand still as it's either to wet to work, to cold or I'm to tired.
I hate winter
Old 06-03-2011, 06:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Smile Re: Wood, wood and MORE Wood...

Dear OscarA
Isn't it funny how things go....I started my oven last june(begining of winter) and had the major work done by sept....then it started to rain which slowed things down somewhat. Now its june again and if it doesn't rain again till next wed as predicted it will be the first 5 days without rain since Xmas.....
Dougs basically built his oven in spring/summer...I don't know how... Coffs is sub tropical , my bro used to live there and its bloody hot and steamy without the rain.
Don't blame you if your slowed down by the wet and cold cause it pretty cold and wet up here This wheather will change and you'll have it ready in the spring for sure

Regards Dave