Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Australia (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/)
-   -   Wood fired oven corner build in Grafton NSW (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/wood-fired-oven-corner-build-grafton-18665.html)

Wayne73 11-28-2012 06:13 PM

Wood fired oven corner build in Grafton NSW

5 Attachment(s)
G'day everyone,

After talking about building a WFO for two or three years now I've finely made a start. I've just finished my base and planning on building an igloo styled oven but I'm not to sure where to go from here.Any helpful comments and advice are most appreciated.:)

Wayne.

Here's some build picture's of my base.

Les 11-28-2012 06:27 PM

Re: Wood fired oven corner build in Grafton NSW

Wayne,

Looks like you are committed (welcome to the club). You dimensioned the area but what is the size of your final slab and what size oven do you have in mind?

Wayne73 11-28-2012 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Les,
I'm not sure of the oven size at this stage, I guess as big an oven I can fit on the slab.Is there a common practical size?

Wayne73 11-28-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karangi Dude (Post 142288)
Hi Wayne,

Looks like you have made a good start, where are you getting your bricks from?

I haven't priced them yet but I know our local Bricks & Pavers suppler can get them.
At this stage im more concerned about the base insulating layer,what to use and where can I get it.

Wayne73 11-28-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karangi Dude (Post 142292)
Wayne,

You could come down to one of my WFO workshop / cooking classes, send me a private message and I will give you my phone number

That sounds great.I was looking at your build thread before and I notice you were in my area.

Les 11-28-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne73 (Post 142291)
Hi Les,
I'm not sure of the oven size at this stage, I guess as big an oven I can fit on the slab.Is there a common practical size?

Practical size - absolutely not. Some want to cook a pizza , some want to bake 10 loaves of bread. I built a 42 because I could - I have yet to slide in a hog or a cow. Whatever you can build, I guarantee you will be glad that you did!

Wayne73 11-28-2012 07:38 PM

I'm a big pizza fan and Sunday night is our pizza night.My two and four year old make there own pizzas ,so it a special night for us.But I love cooking and would like to cook other thing in there too (hog or cow) ,so bigger is better right?

BOOMERS WFO 11-28-2012 08:19 PM

Hi Wayne,

The base is similar in size to mine, and that held a 43"(1100mm approx internal) so you should be able to get close to that size. At the end of the day it is what you can make fit in the space provided allowing for dome, insulation and finish coat.

My dome has ended up with the finish coating going right to the edge on two sides as I somehow ended up slightly off centre.

I take it that you have only poured the hearth slab and are still to add insulating layer. 100mm (4") of vermiculate insulating layer plus firebrick floor should give you good insulating qualities.

Good Luck

Craig:)

Wayne73 11-29-2012 01:50 PM

Yes Ive only poured the hearth slab. Im interested in your vermiculate layer Craig, any chance you can tell me how you made it?

BOOMERS WFO 11-30-2012 01:09 AM

I used the forno guide of 5 parts vermiculite to 1 part portland cement ( 5:1). You are best mixing in a barrow by hand with dry ingredients. Be gentle as you don't want to break up the vermiculite.

Add water until it reaches an oatmeal consistency (porridge). Try not make it too wet as the cement will settle to the bottom. The forno recipe calls for 2, 4 cuft bags of vermiculite, I ended up using 3 large bags to fill the formwork.

It kind of looks like a grey cocoa pop slice when done!!:D

Good Luck

Craig:)