Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Whats Cooking at Karangi Kitchen

Doug, what is the rolled seasoning?
Old 07-25-2011, 10:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yummo, I made some bread today, just some small buns to go with tea and used just 500grams of flour.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dear doug
thanks heaps for the oven temps and times... my wfo oven is much the same 440C on closing of with a insulated door at say 9 oclock at night next day the temps drop about 12 noon to the main cooking mark of 200C and it takes to 7-8 pm to drop below 160C which gives a goodly time to cook.
Its interesting to so the results of one of those vertical cook racks used dry I used one once with a can of beer....didn't like the results the chicken was more than moist it was soggy!
My favourite method is a heavy based pan with an internal rack to get your roast off the base... no need to turn it at all. Fill the bottom with water and your roast stays moist without burning and the added advantage the base fills up with the good juices which makes the best gravy.
Heard this one from a good friend with a big family and a bigger oven on cooking turkey. He fills the bird with a hot stuffing of fruit spices onion and moist bread recons the bird cooks more evenly with the outside meat not having the time to dry out. Recon i'll try that myself.

thanks dave

again thanks Dave
Old 07-31-2011, 07:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Doug,
I also use this firing technique for a roast. Fire for one hour, I simply set my stopwatch, by which time my oven is just starting to clear at the top of the dome. Let the flames die and push the coals aside. The oven temp drops off faster because of the cold roast and pan going in, and also because it's nowhere near soaked with heat, but it's quite sufficient to do a roast and uses very little fuel.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The tasty twirls is a good idea.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi doug
Great looking tucker.... got a pork roast on as we speak so it looks very appealing. Like the look of the roasting rack...a home made rack I bet.

Regards Dave
Old 08-21-2011, 01:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karangi Dude View Post
Quince Paste, Pear and Goats Cheese Pide

Spread quince paste on dough then layer sliced pear and crumble on some goats cheese.

Cheese and Egg Pide.

Mash feta cheese with a fork and beat in 2 eggs then fold in grated mozzarelle and tasty cheese.
They look outstanding.
Did you use standard pizza dough?
Old 09-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Doug,
I love all your recipes. I get inspired every time I read one. If you could put them together you'd have a great WFO cook book.
Dave
Old 09-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Doug,
You are making me hungry again. That sounds fantastic. My sister, who lives in Vic. makes her own quince paste. I built her an oven so will certainly pass on the recipe.
My all time fav is still garlic and olive oil (no tomato sauce), green prawns sliced in half lengthwise, red onion and feta, dressed with sea salt and limejuice.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Whats Cooking at Karangi Kitchen

Dear Doug
Thanks for the strawberry and brie pizza finally a recipe that uses brie!..... the strawberries are a match made in heaven and you can vary the amount of icing sugar to taste ...great not to sweet
DaveS
Ta for the prawn pizza..... I followed your recipe faithfully except had no lime juice used lemon ....a friend of mine loved it and called it the freshest tasting pizza...trust me that a huge complement from a meat and three veg man who doesn't eat prawns unless someone peels them for him!

Reagrds Dave