Old 09-24-2013, 03:43 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Wet Oven Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Some perlite gets treated with silicon which makes it non absorbant. This is probably what the manufacturer uses. I wish I had access to some.
Hi David
Exfoliators in Victoria do Premium Lite Fill which is a treated perlite comes in 100 litre bags.

Lightweight Perlite Insulation & Hydroponics | Exfoliators

Ben uses it in his kits.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein
Old 09-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Laborer

Better link

Lightweight Filler & Render Insulation | Exfoliators

My Door -

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein
Old 09-25-2013, 01:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liteceeper View Post
Hi David
Exfoliators in Victoria do Premium Lite Fill which is a treated perlite comes in 100 litre bags.

Lightweight Perlite Insulation & Hydroponics | Exfoliators

Ben uses it in his kits.
Thanks Litekeeper,
Unfortunately 2600 km would kill me on freight and my local manufacturer doesn't do the coated stuff unfortunately.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Peasant

I live in the tropics so driving rain is often a part of life especially in the wet season. I have never sealed my entry and landing with any sort of waterproofer. Someone mentioned sodium silicate. Does anyone know where I can get this? I assume its not Bondcrete.
I'll be definitely drilling a few holes in the support slab too after reading that suggestion.
My oven and entry are all clay brick btw.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungng View Post
I live in the tropics so driving rain is often a part of life especially in the wet season. I have never sealed my entry and landing with any sort of waterproofer. Someone mentioned sodium silicate. Does anyone know where I can get this? I assume its not Bondcrete.
I'll be definitely drilling a few holes in the support slab too after reading that suggestion.
My oven and entry are all clay brick btw.
Sealing the entry won't achieve that much IMO. If there's water falling on it in that area that water has to go somewhere and between the gaps in the bricks would be my guess which means the bricks still get wet anyway. Waterproofing them also means that removing the water will be that much harder because you are preventing the water from coming out too.We live just south of you (Townsville) and the oven always gets really wet during the wet season. A few long slow fires does the trick to restore normal function though. I think the only real solution is a roof over the oven. When the humidity is really high I think the porous refractory gets wet just from absorbing it from the atmosphere even if if it hasn't been rained on.