Old 04-02-2013, 10:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Wet Oven Floor

Its so simple and it will help keep the insulation dry.
Im surprised there is no mention in FB plans for one.
Attached Thumbnails
Wet Oven Floor-drain-weep-hole.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:34 PM
Serf

Hi Brickie

My problem was not so much draining the water away it was drying the over floor , walls and insulation after the rain stopped. The floor was largely saturated and the water wicked up the walls and into the insulation.

Once I worked out what was happening a piece of ply at the arch entrance stopped the wind driven rain landing on the oven floor.

BC.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttleAU View Post
Hi Brickie

My problem was not so much draining the water away it was drying the over floor , walls and insulation after the rain stopped. The floor was largely saturated and the water wicked up the walls and into the insulation.
But if you had built in a drain it wouldnt had of been anywhere near so bad.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
I don't see how a drain hole will allow water held in air spaces in the firebrick and insulation to escape. But I have been wrong before so its only a hole and I pull out the hammer drill this weekend. Lets hope I can beat the odds and miss the steel!
BC I wish it was as simple as a piece of plywood. Problem is around here we get regular summer storms so any thing like that would have to be solidly fixed. The chimney cap is 750mm x 250 mm opprox and was taken by one storm over the fence into the neighbors... It made of tin ,truly scary if that hit anyone. It now has the 3 firebricks on it.
Now the problem really is how to fix something vertically to the mouth of the oven..... And non ugly ?
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-03-2013, 12:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have a drain hole under my insulation too, but the trouble is that the insulation acts like a sponge and holds the water to itself even though there is a drain. Gentle fires and baking and roasting rather than pizza for a while is the best remedy IMO.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
I don't see how a drain hole will allow water held in air spaces in the firebrick and insulation to escape. But I have been wrong before so its only a hole and I pull out the hammer drill this weekend.
Its so simple to add it to any oven that it make my brain hurt thinking about it.

Old 04-03-2013, 02:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Wet Oven Floor

Gudday
Ok it's on this weekend.... Who will win ...capillary action or gravity.
If gravity wins that slab is going to look like Swiss cheese.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-03-2013, 02:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you placed a large sponge into a bucket, then drilled a hole in the bottom of it, excess water would have a chance to escape, although the sponge is likely to block the hole. It won't stop the wet sponge from holding water into itself. I think a drain at the bottom of an oven with a vermicrete slab is something similar. A vent hole at the top of the oven is a more effective way of removing excess moisture IMO.

I have a 100L woven plastic bag of 50/50 vermiculite, perlite that I left, with the top sewn up, out in the rain. It has sucked water up into itself and is about 50% heavier than a dry full bag. It has not rained for around two weeks. The capacity of this stuff to hold water is the reason it is used as asoil conditioner and hydroponic medium.

Last edited by david s; 04-03-2013 at 02:51 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:35 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
I don't see how a drain hole will allow water held in air spaces in the firebrick and insulation to escape. But I have been wrong before so its only a hole and I pull out the hammer drill this weekend. Lets hope I can beat the odds and miss the steel!
BC I wish it was as simple as a piece of plywood. Problem is around here we get regular summer storms so any thing like that would have to be solidly fixed. The chimney cap is 750mm x 250 mm opprox and was taken by one storm over the fence into the neighbors... It made of tin ,truly scary if that hit anyone. It now has the 3 firebricks on it.
Now the problem really is how to fix something vertically to the mouth of the oven..... And non ugly ?
Regards dave
Yep, we have had a few good storms recently and the tornado near Kiama. I will try and take a photo of the plywood. It is shaped like a "D" and fits just into the arch entrance. It does need a coat of paint. The one that got my oven was 70mm overnight from the North which is largely unheard of in Sydney.

BC
Old 04-03-2013, 06:57 AM
Apprentice

This discussion on wet insulation has me wondering if I should stick with the perlite board I have Sproule-WR-1200 as it is non-wicking. It isn't as efficient as the Calsil board I planned to swap it for today, but is that a good trade off? I can double up to 4" if needed.