Old 06-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Serf

Default Re: Tunnel brick ovens

Well I can see the comments but the sales have been very high and no complants from customers, I spoke to the owners of the company and they laughed at your comments. I'm going to build a tunnel oven and a dome oven, I will let you know my results when done. Have a nice Day
Old 06-13-2011, 11:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

They wouldnt get complaints if the owners didnt know there was a better way to build an oven would they.

On the other hand if the customers found out their oven was thermally inefficient, didnt stay hot for days so you could cook for days without relighting the fire and used a ton more wood per firing I think then there would be complaints.

Keep us informed with your build with lots of pics.

Edit:
There were better designed ovens over 2000 years ago than that one in your link.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 06-14-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:38 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
There is no problem with solid reds.

There is a misconceived myth that they will explode with too much heat even though the bricks were fired at a much higher temp than you can possibly achieve with a wood fired oven.
I'm not sure about them exploding if they get too hot either? As opposed to firebricks with a high alumina content, with regular use over a long period, I believe the firebricks would not deteriorate near as quick as a standard 'reds', plus I have seen data (..no I don't have access to the data anymore..) that backs up the higher heat absorbsion and retention qualities of the firebrick, where the 'standard reds' housebrick is designed as a 'reflective' AND 'retentive' material.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

solid reds will not have as good thermal shock capacity as firebrick. The composition of the red bricks, which are designed to build houses, will vary enormously depending where the clay has come from. They may be ok, but they also may not. The most susceptible area is the floor. I've seen plenty of spalled red brick fireplace floors, at least use firebrick there.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Journeyman

A quality pressed red will be OK, a firebrick will be that much better again.
Red bricks are fired at approx. 1200c, you will never get that temp in your WFO. The biggest failure is usually in the mortar, use a quality refractory cement.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It is not so much the temperature that the bricks reach that is the problem, it is the rate of temperature change that causes failure.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:03 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
It is not so much the temperature that the bricks reach that is the problem, it is the rate of temperature change that causes failure.
Yes, thats called cycling, something red bricks dont like.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:51 AM
Apprentice

I also saw that site when I was researching ovens and my first impressions were it looks nice and it's compact but it wont do. As others have pointed out it lacks insulation so it'll cook while there's fire but that's about it.
With a properly insulated oven you can cook pizza for lunch, roast for tea, bake bread the next morning and then a slow cooking casserole the following day.
That's 3 days of cooking the best that tunnel oven will do is cook pizza for lunch or tea and that's it.
Don't rush into it do your research properly think about what you want from your oven and then buy/build what's appropriate for you and your family's needs.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny the oven man View Post
Yes, thats called cycling, something red bricks dont like.
So thats why I dont see too many red bricks in Lycra......