Old 10-03-2010, 04:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Pizza Variables - Wood

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, strangely, wood can actually be quite an interesting topic as it's so integral to successful WFO cooking. So much so that it seems that I have a bit of an obsession with wood at the moment! When driving around the suburbs I see trees in a new light - as food for my WFO!!! Bulk rubbish collection coming up in a few weeks time so that will be like Xmas for the oven. The new chainsaws are itching to attack.......

In relation to the varieties of oak available in WA - not too sure on that one.

Bad news that you haven't been able to cook pizza lately. Quite the opposite here. Cranked the oven up last night again for the family. Boerewors starter then straight into 6 pizzas. Super light, mozarella di latti, leoparding - done in 90 seconds. Very well received by the guests.

Last edited by heliman; 10-03-2010 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Went for a cycle yesterday and saw that there was a bulk rubbish collection in the next suburb - including heaps of wood. Friend with a ute was also riding and he offered to collect it for me. One lot was well seasoned and ready to be split - which the new splitting machine took care of with ease - and the other green.

My wife also noticed a whole lot more wood when she was out shopping so I stopped by the place this morning an loaded a whole lot more wood (have split most of it already).

So, I have now got plenty of wood - some will take a while to season but now that it is summer and warm, that should only take about 4 months till it's usable. Amazing how much is tossed out when the price of wood is $280 per ton. Saved myself about $300 so far so it is definitely a worthwhile proposition processing it yourself if you can get wood supplies for free.

Pics:
Left - some of the processed, already seasoned wood I found
Middle - Split but green (needs 4 months seasoning)
Right - wood pile to be processed

Wood is mainly White Gum with a bit of Red Box.
Attached Thumbnails
Pizza Variables - Wood-cimg4339.jpg   Pizza Variables - Wood-cimg4340.jpg   Pizza Variables - Wood-cimg4341.jpg  

Last edited by heliman; 10-17-2010 at 03:26 AM.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dear Rossco
Like you Ive hit the road to find further supplies of wood and guess what I found

Pizza Variables - Wood-wood.jpg

Too good to be true. You guessed it... to good to be true. Those bloody huge bags were full of wood...Chipboard, painted house boards, varnished floor boards all cut to length.....
Brissy council has done away with the Green waste thro outs they have brought in green bins collected fortnightly. so the options are going down.
Does anyone know the laws in QLD on collecting wood in the bush roadside??

Regards Dave
Brisbane Qld
Old 10-25-2010, 07:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Dave - wow ... anything goes as far as firewood is concerned it would seem!!

I wondering the same thing about collecting wood lying around in parks etc and even went as far as contacting the Chief Arborist arborist at the local council to ask about picking up and "recycling" wood. At first she was a bit apprehensive but after a while she told me she also has a WFO so understood the need. Whilst she didn't encourage collecting fallen wood in parks etc, she said "if you get there before us that will be OK". So there is the challenge I guess!

That being said, I have got over a ton of split wood now all seasoning in the back garden. I located a good stash of wood outside someones house and did two loads with a friend's ute and grabbed it all. The hydraulic wood splitter and chainsaws have already paid for themselves and I have got about 2 years supply of wood so fire the WFO 2 x per weekend now as standard practice. There is in fact too much wood around as people are happy to go to bunnings and pay $15 /bag for Jarrah and don't bother collecting and processing their own.

In your case, where there's no bulk collection, contact a few tree loppers and see if you can find out where they are operating on a particular day then show up and load your ute with free wood. They will be more than happy for you to take it away (and may even cut to size if you're lucky) as it will save them chipping and having to pay to dump it at the tip.

Will post a pic of my latest stack tomorrow - I have prepared a special metal-framed platform that allows free flow of air to speed up the drying process. Definitely worth getting wood yourself and doing the processing - but invest in a chainsaw and hydraulic splitter ... they will save your back!!

Last edited by heliman; 10-25-2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

These are some pics of my current stockpile of wood.

1. Wood stacked left, right and under the oven.
2. Bagged super dry White Gum salvaged from a verge throw out.
3. My wood pile on "custom made" metal rack to aid air circulation.
Attached Thumbnails
Pizza Variables - Wood-cimg4353.jpg   Pizza Variables - Wood-cimg4354.jpg   Pizza Variables - Wood-cimg4358.jpg  

Last edited by heliman; 10-26-2010 at 04:04 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wood pile expanding ... more and more...
Attached Thumbnails
Pizza Variables - Wood-img_0308.jpg  
Old 11-02-2010, 03:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dear Rossco
Have added 1/2 mtr of green hardwood to the stack as neighbour took out a small tree. Bit worried as the next neighbour has just dumped some firewood keep for a BBQ due to Termite attack! There a danger in QLD so I'm a bit "gunshy" as I have had them in my yard myself.

Regards Dave
Old 11-02-2010, 04:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Dave - quite a bit of the very dry wood that I collected was full of termites. I just store it away from the house and don't really bother about them too much because they are everywhere. Once the wood is split the light normally chases the termites away and they look for another home. I shook the wood and killed most of them that had fallen on the floor just to reduce the numbers that went back into the wild. I would say - burn 'em!!

Last edited by heliman; 11-06-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Red/Yellow Box????

Anyone using Red or Yellow Box for their WFO? It is more a QLD tree than WA I am told but there does seen to be a fair bit floating around here. I was given some 8 year old seasoned Red Box recently and it nearly killed by log splitter as it was like iron. I eventually used a cold chisel and sledge hammer to split it in half and only then the log splitter could handle it. The pieces seem to burn forever in the WFO and made quite a good coal.

Interested to hear comments from anyone who has used this wood - particularly how they would rate it compared to other Eucalypts like White Gum and Jarrah.

BTW - I now am inundated with wood and probably have enough for about 3 years worth of WFO burns.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Apprentice

I have been buying my wood locally from a firewood supplier. Previous loads have been a mix of Iron Bark, Redgum and Yellow Box. All of these seem to burn really well but being quite a dense hardwood (like most aussie hardwoors) I have fond I need to split it down into fairly slamm bits to get to burn fast enough to not take hours to heat the oven up.

The last load I got was 2 cubic meters of Ironbark so i will see how that goes. The wood I get is really dry but have found that if i load a stack of wood into the oven the morning after a pizza night and pull it out just before the next time i use the oven it ignites and burns so easily and much cleaner and makes it much easier to get a good flame when baking pizzas - this would also be a good option for you guys who are collecting greener timbers.

I also found that I think it was the redgum is so bloody hard to split with an axe. I literally had the axe bounce off and barely make logs I have tried to split. The only way to split it by hand is to cut in the same rirection as the rings in the timber.

Cheers
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.