Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Australia (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/)
-   -   From oz. First time user. Please help. (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/oz-first-time-user-please-help-13622.html)

symon 07-24-2010 03:33 PM

From oz. First time user.

Hi there everyone, this is my first time on the forum, so you could say Iím new at this. Iím from Adelaide, South Australia down under.

Iím keen to build a wood fired pizza oven as most of you are or have already done so.

Iíve been researching ovens, DIY kits all different shapes and sizes precast, clay and fire brick??? Iíve decided (I think) to build my own oven sourcing materials locally using med duty fire bricks. So I guess Iím putting my hand up for some help, to find suppliers in oz. As I see there is a wealth of knowledge here, both things that have worked and some that havenít. I have a question on thermal mass how thick is too thick? I was thinking 120 to 130mm or 4.5Ē to 5Ē dome, time you use half brick with render coat, with 75mm or3.5Ē floor, how does that sound? Please help as I just want to get this right the first time.

Regards,

Symon from oz.

cobblerdave 08-04-2010 01:41 PM

Re: From oz. First time user. Please help.

Hi
Im dave. Im building an oven with lighter bricks, 29 silica content and will be adding a 25 mm fireproof cement layer to the outside of this to increase the thermal mass. From what I have been able to find out so far I would not increase the thermal mass much more than this as you would have to increase the heating time ( and Wood ) required to bring the extra mass up to Temp.
The trade of to this would be an oven that would keep it temp for a longer time, I dont need to cook doz of loaves of bread over many hours so it isnt needed.
The important thing to consider is the insulation layer, this is needed to stop all the heat wicking away. Its little use putting all that heat in there to have it leak into the outside world and not stay in the oven and the tucker.
You'll have to use a pearlite cement layer or a high temp insulation sheet such as "rockwool" (not your home insulation type insulation cause its only rated to 250 C.)
If you havn't already read it check out the section in the Forno Bravo instructions on thermal mass V insulation its worth the read.

Good luck hopes this helps

regards Dave

symon 08-05-2010 05:47 AM

Thank's for the info Dave.

I will look into all you mentioned and keep you posted as time goes on.

Cheers,

Symon.

razbarb 08-25-2010 03:14 PM

Hi there, i'm a first timer myself.
It will be a while before i start.
Have you dowloaded the free pompeii oven plans from this site, they are a fantastic reference.
You'll find the link, among the others, at the bottom of the homepage.
Have fun

symon 08-28-2010 03:16 PM

Yes, I have the pompeii plans and they are fantastic.
I'm looking to get started soon, just a matter of freeing up some time and money.

Cheers,

Symon.

brickie in oz 08-28-2010 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobblerdave (Post 96104)
Hi
Im dave. Im building an oven with lighter bricks,

Hi Dave.
Aren't those types of brick for insulation purposes, which would mean that they wont soak up the heat like the denser types?

nissanneill 08-29-2010 05:52 AM

Hi Symon and welcome aboard.
You make my total of 31 Adelaide members.
Highbury hey? Not far from Hendo's place at Rostrevor!

Quote:

Iím putting my hand up for some help, to find suppliers in oz. As I see there is a wealth of knowledge here, both things that have worked and some that havenít. I have a question on thermal mass how thick is too thick?

You might contact Thermal Ceramics at:-
10-14 Toogood Avenue, Beverley
SA 5009 Australia
Tel + 61 (8) 8243 5300
Fax: +61 (8) 8243 0571
Email: australia@thermalceramics.com

They have most things that you'll need and very helpful. I believe that they also now have firebricks from one of their plants in China. (They used to carry them but discontinues some years ago).

As far as your thermal mass is concerned, a well insulated oven built from half length bricks will heat up in around an hour to an hour and a half and hold heat with the use of a well insulated and sealed door for up to 3 days.
I can't under estimate the importance of good quality and sufficient insulation! Money well spent.
You might contact the owner of this forum, James, for the contact details of his Australian agent who might just have the Pompeii kits available. Send him a personal email!

Cheers.

Neill

symon 09-02-2010 07:33 AM

Hi Neill,

Thanks again, I will look at Thermal Ceramics as a possible supplier when I get to that stage. I just want to get the footing started. Will keep you posted when I get started as I know their will be questions.

Regards,

Symon.

cobblerdave 09-03-2010 12:09 AM

Dave back again....
on firebricks the 29 per cent silica bricks are all that I could find locally. They are not the insulating type that you find boilers on ships that Ive seen, which are more like hebbel, light and full of air bubbles.
The 29 per cent bricks aint your standard common house brick they are very heavy probaby twice the weight of a common brick.
Ive added a 25mm layer of fire resistant cement to add to the termal mass.
Works.... seems to... Ive fired the oven up one night before the insulation was fitted and it took about 3 hours before the heat arrived to the outside.
Oven was still warm to the touch next day even though only 8 C that night sorry thats as cold as you 'll get in Bris. Cant wait till its insulated and I can extent the cooking times
By the way didn't waste the heat and inpressed the child bride with a Bloody nice pizza that night.
Regards to all
cobbler dave

symon 09-03-2010 05:53 AM

Sounds like you’re on the right track Dave.
The bricks you used may be light fire bricks with around 30% alumina content. (That said, low duty firebricks are a good choice for building a Pompeii Oven and other than considering the Pompeii Oven Kit from Forno Bravo, it is not worth the effort of trying to find a higher quality firebrick in your region.), as quoted in the Pompeii Oven Instructions. The 25mm layer to increase thermal mass sounds spot on. Go Dave!!!

Regards,
Symon.