Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 12:37 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Oven Build in Adelaide

Yep too cold, spent most of the day on the brick saw cutting pavers...... Think it took me another day to feel my fingers again

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:08 AM
Apprentice

Thanks for the info Doug. A question though. How thick is your wall of your dome? The image above makes it look really thick. Are there multiple layers of brick, or have you just put grooves into the bricks?

I plan on cutting the formwork hopefully this weekend (depending on how quickly I get through all the other tasks I have been given by the boss!!!

Cheers

Craig
Old 08-06-2012, 01:31 AM
Serf

craig,
Looks great. I live in Adelaide so thanks for the littlehampton source for bricks.
Have not been able to download the forno plans. Any help appreciated.
Gumfade
Old 08-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Apprentice

Hello Gumfade,

Welcome to the wonderful world of WFO's. I will forward a copy of the plans tonight as it is on my home computer.

Regards

Craig
Old 08-07-2012, 04:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Oven Build in Adelaide

Hi Gumfade and welcome aboard.
Nice to find another SA on board, so read up, ask questions and enjoy.
There are numerous suppliers for all you will need to construct your oven, so go for it.

Cheers.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 08-14-2012, 06:02 AM
Apprentice

Sorry Gumfade, havent been able to load the PDF of instructions (5MB) as site doesnt allow file that big. Will find another way of getting to you.

Cheers
Craig
Old 08-14-2012, 06:13 AM
Apprentice

Well the weather started to show signs of a potential sping last weekend. Cut a disk of mdf and positioned under the 9th course to hold bricks in place. Spent the afternoon cutting and numbering the bricks to fit so I might mortar next weekend. Boy is that fun

Is there an easy way of shaping each brick for these last few courses? Is it better to shape the brick evenly on both sides or only shape one edge of each brick to fit? Or does it not really matter so long as the bricks fit with minimal gaps for mortar?

It feels that the shape is becoming multifacetted with obtuse angles

I figure as these final upper courses generally out in visual range, making it look nice may not be the main point, compared to a good fit.

Any feedback welcome. Hopefully rain stays away this weekend, and this course can be completed and the disk cut down for the next course.

Cheers

Craig
Old 09-01-2012, 02:02 AM
Apprentice

Thumbs up Re: Oven Build in Adelaide

First day of Spring and the sun shone. A veritable heat wave at Greenhill. 13C !! though it reached over 19C down the hill.

Have now completed the ninth row of the dome, and will recut the MDF disk to now fit number 10 course in the morning. Hopefully cutting to shape the bricks needed and getting them in place.

Tomorrow is another cracker forecast. So hopefully momentum increases again each weekend.

Happy Fathers Day to all for tomorrow. My special day will be with the family, but of course, the WFO will get some attention.

Cheers

Craig
Old 09-03-2012, 03:39 AM
Apprentice

Exclamation Re: Oven Build in Adelaide

Well what a Fathers Day!! Not only did I get a bottle of Glenmorangie and VSOP Cognac, the day on the WFO was spectacular.

I re-cut the disk to fit for the tenth row and arranged the bricks for the best fit. Boy this 10th level started doing my head in - shaping each brick to fit, in the end I opted for 1/4 bricks to minimize wasteage.
Oven Build in Adelaide-ninth-course.jpg
I put a layer of brickies sand on the disk to support the bricks in the correct position, filling in the gaps with mortar. Managed to get this done before lunch.(Late lunch that is).
Good day so far, so thought I'd start on the 11th course, which all of a sudden came together with the pieces fitting together quickly. A bit more sand to hold into place and give the mortar a firm base to rest on, and before I knew it I had put mortar into place. I suddenly realised all that was left was the KEYSTONE
[Oven Build in Adelaide-key-stone-ready.jpg] Oven Build in Adelaide-keystone-.jpg
WOW What an amazing feeling. The dome was now complete.
Oven Build in Adelaide-seen-light.jpg
I've seen the light.
Oven Build in Adelaide-dome-complete.jpg
Sunday never felt so religious, WFO religion that is!!

Fathers Day 2012 will certainly be a well remembered day. Look out next weekend. The end is nigh......

Catch you all soon

Craig

Last edited by BOOMERS WFO; 09-03-2012 at 03:46 AM. Reason: attachment link incorrect
Old 09-04-2012, 12:02 AM
Master Builder

Weather looking good for this weekend again...... and winds during the week to dry it out.