Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2010, 07:02 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Newbie to build better homes pizza oven

BUNDYMARK, there is a refractory supply company in Brisbane, called Total Refractory Management that could supply most of your requirements. Your best shot would be using castable for your dome instead of clay.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:30 AM
Serf

Johnny,
Thanks for the info on total refractory management in Brisbane.I checked them out the other day and all seemed ok.They had a link to a wfo maker which made a decent sized kit oven which i could land in Bundy for a lot cheaper than the ones in WA.It doesnt have the pizza peels and soforth but i can really pick them up anywhere when i need them.I just hav to convince the minister for finance but when i told her she seemed interested so heres hoping.
BUNDYMARK
Old 11-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dear Mark
Most of the replies you have got (including my own) have tried to stear you towards a brick oven. I think I have forgotten the most important point To Build the thing regardless and it even states in the PLANS use common bricks if you have to. Your original plan was to build an oven using the plans from BH&G right... well there is a bloke in Brisbane that has used the BH&G plans with a few changes. He used HEBEL for his hearth insulation, Firebrick Hearth, Clay oven and Hi tec dome insulation. If you check out" New guy in brisbane wants to build an wfo "he has a reply in there. His tag is backyardpermaculture and that rely has a link to his blog which shows his build.
Using castable to build your dome now that is interesting. I checked out a few things did you realize that the premade forno ovens are made of castable? They have a section in the forum on" other types' and theres a bit in there on casting domes. seems a big thing with our NZ friends over the ditch seems fire bricks are more expensive so casting the dome from castable is a cost effective option for them.
Keep posting you progress I'm interested to see how you go

Regards
Dave
Old 11-27-2010, 12:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dear Mark
interested to find out hows things are going

go well
dave
Old 11-28-2010, 06:42 AM
Serf

Mark, I'm in exactly the same boat! I got excited about the idea of a cheapish option, as I don't think I'll be living here for more than another couple of years, and the BH&G oven looked great. An expert I saw locally said sourcing the right clay was VERY difficult and that it wasn't worth the effort and risk to go that route. Now I'm stuck in limbo - wanting to make an oven that cooks ok, looks ok, won't fall apart and won't cost the bank. The thing I'm wrestling with now is whether I can get away with not using firebricks, but use standard solid bricks for my dome instead. Most advice I've seen seems to suggest that this is a real option - especially as I don't expect the thing to last for ten years. What do you experts think of this?

Good luck Mark, James
Old 11-30-2010, 12:57 PM
Journeyman

Firebricks are the better option, but pressed reds willd suffice if you use a refractory mortar. If you see an old worn out fireplace, its usually the mortar that has given way, not the bricks.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If your not going to be there for a great time one of those forno modular ovens on a steel base seems a good option. unless you move a great distance you could trailer it to you next property. Consider they recon that people change there home in Aust a average of ever 7 years too.
My ovens the huge brick monolith in the back yard and a friend a real estate agent recons she could get me $10,000 more for the house with it. Don't feel like moving too soon so that interesting but not important.
I recon you should just do it... best fun building one and great fun to play with men and there toys... cant eat a handbag or shoe though... sorry girls but its true

regards dave