Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 06:07 AM
Laborer

Default Re: New pre-cut kit build in Adelaide

Time for a update, started on oven build now I have completed render (stucco) of patio in area of WFO. Cut calcium silicate board to size and laid straight on top of hearth slab. Covered with aluminium foil to prevent moisture being drawn out of heat bank too fast whilst curing.
Next made form work for refactory castable heat bank 25mm thick, mixed, poured and let cure for three days.
Attached Thumbnails
New pre-cut kit build in Adelaide-d7k_7000.jpg   New pre-cut kit build in Adelaide-d7k_7003.jpg   New pre-cut kit build in Adelaide-d7k_7006.jpg   New pre-cut kit build in Adelaide-d7k_7012.jpg   New pre-cut kit build in Adelaide-d7k_7014.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein
Old 10-30-2013, 06:43 AM
Laborer

More update - sorted precut bricks and did a dry fit to check if I know what I'm doing.
Ignore floor tiles not central to calsil outline I mucked up my centres

Pays to do a dry fit first I guess.

What,s the consensus do I mortar down floor tiles or bed in sand?
Attached Thumbnails
New pre-cut kit build in Adelaide-d7k_7015.jpg   New pre-cut kit build in Adelaide-d7k_7016.jpg   New pre-cut kit build in Adelaide-d7k_7020.jpg   New pre-cut kit build in Adelaide-d7k_7022.jpg   New pre-cut kit build in Adelaide-d7k_7024.jpg  

New pre-cut kit build in Adelaide-d7k_7025.jpg  

My Door -

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein
Old 10-30-2013, 07:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If your castable is level and tiles fit well you should be good, no mortar, tiles need to float since they will expand and contract. If tiles need leveling, use a 50/50 mix of sand and fire clay installed with a 1/4" or 3/8" or so notched tile trowel right on your castable base. Nice looking kit.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Liteceeper

Ditto with Russell

Old 10-31-2013, 05:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Don't go too far ahead with dry fitiing, you'll find that things change once you start mortaring the brick.

Looks nice so far, and I'll be interested to see how that castable skim coat holds up. Did you add reinforcement to it?

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 11-03-2013, 03:57 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
If your castable is level and tiles fit well you should be good, no mortar, tiles need to float since they will expand and contract. If tiles need leveling, use a 50/50 mix of sand and fire clay installed with a 1/4" or 3/8" or so notched tile trowel right on your castable base. Nice looking kit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Hi Liteceeper

Ditto with Russell
Thanks for advise Russell & Colin but I have stuck to Ben's plans and used a mortar mix to set floor as the castable had a dip on LHS throwing tiles out of whack.

2 refactory mortar
2 sand
1 lime
1 GP cement

I guess the bricks and floor will take up their own positions once the oven gets fired up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Don't go too far ahead with dry fitiing, you'll find that things change once you start mortaring the brick.

Looks nice so far, and I'll be interested to see how that castable skim coat holds up. Did you add reinforcement to it?
No reinforcement used but appears OK, see above quotes, it may allow some movement of floor tiles?

Had a good weekend finally building oven, Friday afternoon laid floor, Saturday morning ground edges of floor tiles to remove slight raised edges on a few tiles, then laid first 3 courses.
Today (Sunday) I filled wedge spaces between bricks with castable, thought best do this whilst bricks are still wet from laying them. Then laid fourth course.

Anthony
Attached Thumbnails
New pre-cut kit build in Adelaide-d7k_7039.jpg   New pre-cut kit build in Adelaide-d7k_7040.jpg   New pre-cut kit build in Adelaide-d7k_7041.jpg   New pre-cut kit build in Adelaide-d7k_7042.jpg   New pre-cut kit build in Adelaide-d7k_7044.jpg  

My Door -

Old 11-03-2013, 04:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liteceeper View Post

No reinforcement used but appears OK, see above quotes, it may allow some movement of floor tiles?
I had made that comment thinking your castable was the finished floor. Concern about the castable is all moot, since you covered it with floor tile...I don't know how I missed that.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 11-03-2013 at 05:02 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: New pre-cut kit build in Adelaide

Gudday Anthony
Building with a precut kit... I can see the advantages of not having to worry about the arch transition etc etc. It's certainly coming ahead quite well.
Are you still aiming for the "oven pic " you posted earlier with the oven hearth height the same as the surrounding base. That look is certainly smart and clean.
Love your work
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 11-03-2013 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Spell check and your ... Don't you hate it
Old 11-03-2013, 05:39 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday Anthony
Building with a precut kit... I can see the advantages of not having to worry about the arch transition etc etc. It's certainly coming ahead quite well.
Are you still aiming for the "oven pic " you posted earlier with the oven hearth height the same as the surrounding base. That look is certainly smart and clean.
Love your work
Regards dave
Thanks for your kind words Dave,
I was surprised at progress over weekend but I guess all the hard yakka cutting bricks has been done for me.
Yes still planning to finish level, will place cut down face bricks around edge to finish about 30mm below hearth top surface then build up base with perlite concrete to level of bricks (-30mm) and then have some granite tops made to sit flush.
Not sure if perlite concrete will give a solid enough base to secure granite too, any ideas.

My Door -

Old 11-03-2013, 05:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: New pre-cut kit build in Adelaide

Gudday Anthony
I can't see why not ..... You could upgrade the Portland cement content and add some sand as well. When you think about its not like you are trying to get the best insulation layer ... That's already there.
Just a thought
Regards dave

My Build

My Door