Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 07:18 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: New pre-cut kit build in Adelaide

Quote:
Originally Posted by benguilford View Post
.... Or if you get really carried away, you could bring the whole slab level up around the oven to your floor height... (a lot of extra work but MAN it looks good)
I agree it looks great. In the scheme of things it's really not that much extra work - maybe a day to form up and pour a bit more concrete is all.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hmm lifting slab to floor height food for thought. aesthetically it looks better. Not sure how it would go on mine outer arch comes all the way to the front, but might ponder that one.
But does look very neat and pleasing to the eye.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 08-08-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by benguilford View Post
you could bring the whole slab level up around the oven to your floor height... (a lot of extra work but MAN it looks good)
You will find the oven a whole lot easier to work with the hearth and surrounds at the same level, sliding hot pans of food around for one thing is a breeze rather than a major head ache.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:44 AM
Apprentice

few quick tips off my head, i will post them without any organized order just as i remember them as i follow your progress

when you cure oven for first few days while doing small fires do NOT put install your chimney and do not put door in place after you done curing.
condensation from the first fires in wet oven make quite the mess at the entrance from the door and chimney is not getting hot enough to burn off or whatever it happens to the black tar so it ends up dripping on your flute gallery
Old 08-09-2013, 08:52 PM
Laborer

Thanks Croc
I have sub you build and following the cracking issues so I might hit you up for suggestions when I get to the pouring of slab.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:34 PM
Apprentice

Do slab as flat and level as you can so you won't have to mortar calsil boards down as that makes them suck in lots of water. To avoids cracks keep going small and then medium fires for long enough to see more even temperatures between walls and dome. And monitor underside of your slab, if this gets over 40c don't progress to bigger fires over many hours at the time just back off it isn't ready yet, put the door on and start again next day.
My cracks are due to too hot too soon, if I knew what I know today I would not have structural slab cracks

Last edited by CrocAu; 08-09-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Croc

How soon did you start building the oven from when you layed the hearth slab? Did you give it anytime to cure.

I left my base slab sit for nearly a month before I started constructing anything on it. I watered it and kept it wet for about 2 weeks.

I wont have the problem with hearth slab as I used Hebel Panel [well supported] for my hearth slab. Added benefit that it is also insulating.

I haven't heard of anyone else having structural slab cracks previously finding it strange.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Apprentice

If you look around it did happen before, one of threads had same signs as in wet insulation under floor and underside of slab getting quite warm.
I can't remember if I mention but during last fire water forced out and made wet patch where the cracks are.
Slab itself must be very strong as it didn't let the cracks travel all the way across, maybe even extra rebar around outer edges could stop it, who knows but too late for me
All cracks close up a lot after temperature drops so I feel very confident that it is cosmetic issue only, if whole thing had serious problem there is no way it would pull itself back like this
Old 08-14-2013, 09:29 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocAu View Post
If you look around it did happen before, one of threads had same signs as in wet insulation under floor and underside of slab getting quite warm.
I can't remember if I mention but during last fire water forced out and made wet patch where the cracks are.
Slab itself must be very strong as it didn't let the cracks travel all the way across, maybe even extra rebar around outer edges could stop it, who knows but too late for me
All cracks close up a lot after temperature drops so I feel very confident that it is cosmetic issue only, if whole thing had serious problem there is no way it would pull itself back like this
Hi CrocAu

I posted on you build today, trying to learn from your slab cracking issues, once I get around to pouring my slab and let it cure for a week or two, I have a jetfire gas heater used to heat workshop could I point that at underside of slab to get some heat in driving out moisture whilst building dome ( keep me warm too)?

My Door -

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein
Old 08-14-2013, 10:41 PM
Apprentice

you don't want to heatup concrete slab just take your time with drying the floor
just take it slow and watch underslab temperatures, if they still going up (this takes hours btw) don't go bigger with fires