Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2014, 01:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: new build in werribee

Hey Craig I might give that a go.

Russel farmed or wild there is a difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well I have finally sourced a paver that should be able to be fired so here I go again TAKE 2.

Doing some other finishing touches to WFO this weekend.

Adding some Hebel under the existing Hebel base so that the base thickness is the same size as the rest of the base.

Adding a layer of chook wire for the next coating of Dome render.

If possible a layer or two of Render.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Colin,
You need to use a fired clay paver. If it was a cement paver that may be a reason it failed. All clay pavers are fired, otherwise they'd turn back into mud as soon as they get wet. Even a fired clay paver may not be suitable because it has been designed to be walked on not used in an oven. That doesn't mean it is unsuitable, it probably will be ok, but there is no guarantee because the complex mix of ingredients of any clay body used in a brick will not be available to you. Likewise the temperature the brick is fired to is no guarantee of its suitability.The higher it is fired does not necessarily make it more thermally shock resistant in fact the opposite is sometimes the case.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi David
Thanks for that much appreciated. The paver in question is for the decorative arch. Its what I'm doing to it that requires firing again and I need a paver at least 400 x 400. Yes a concrete paver...... well, was simply useless didn't think of that when I picked it up I assumed they were all fired. WELL THAT THOUGHT WAS VERY WRONG.

The pavers I found have been fired at 1100c. Checking with paver manufacturers over the last week not all Clay pavers are fired to that temperature. Since the glaze I am using requires at least 1100c am thinking the Paver I am referring from Claypave being fired at 1100c will in fact withstand another firing so am hoping will serve the purpose I have installed for it.

Fingers crossed

Old 07-23-2014, 06:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm not sure I understand what you are doing. I can't see why the top brick of an outer decorative arch would see such high temperatures, but I don't know your design. I cast my decorative outer arches in concrete and have never had a failure, although I do make the inner one inch or so with an insulating concrete and the whole arch is separated thermally so there is little conduction and it never gets really hot.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Colin,

Can't say for sure if farmed or wild caught, like here in the States, farmed and wild caught salmon taste different but also cost more. I guess you get what you pay for. Good luck on the top brick. I am sure it will be in the same league as the dome plug. I still have some copper work to do but the weather has been too hot to accomplish much.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
How many Jars will your daughter be bringing back
Sorry Colin, just caught this...

It's hard to tell. Knowing my daughter, I predict she will fill any remaining space in her two large suitcases with clothes and bring me back an 8 oz teaser jar. I'll have to be really careful with it!
Old 07-23-2014, 02:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

John - if she shorts you, you can get it here in the US you know...

Amazon.com : Vegemite 220g Jar : Nut Butters : Grocery & Gourmet Food
Vegemite Spread | World Market

might not be as exciting - but perhaps more reliable!

Old 07-23-2014, 03:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ah, good 'ol Amazon! Who knew? The same jar at World Market (down the street) with tax is closer to $10. Thanks for the tip, Dennis.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Fascinating from an Aussie perspective People that reside in US having a discussion About vegemite. Curious this is something I grew up with. Wow. Use it for many things other than a spread.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 07-25-2014 at 06:09 AM.