Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2014, 04:15 PM
Laborer

Default Re: new build in werribee

Steve, how well did it stand up outdoors or was it okay because you rendered over it?

My build so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Starting out collecting info and materials

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:52 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottedFrog View Post
Steve, how well did it stand up outdoors or was it okay because you rendered over it?
I concreted over the top and used tiles to make the entry just below the hearth height, with a slight fall outwards. If you Google "Liquid Flash", you will find data sheets on this brand of waterproofing sealer. Other brands exist that my be more cost effective.

This product can be used on an exterior. But to protect it you really do need to use a hard surface that's heat tolerant to a degree. I would put tiles or bricks over it.

I have attached the sequence to make my oven water resistant, including a door. I also used a bead of silicon over the junction between the render and tiles.

Cheers,

Steve.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-oven_top_liquid_flash.jpg   new build in werribee-oven_top_liquid_flash2.jpg   new build in werribee-oven_top_liquid_flash3.jpg   new build in werribee-oven_top_liquid_flash4.jpg  

Last edited by brissie; 05-03-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi steve

Thx for that very nice door haven't seen that pic before. I will look it up and use same product looks like exactly what I need.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Steve

If you see this liquid flash 1 or 2 ?

I'm getting some time over next few weeks do hopefully get the body oven finished more motivated currently as I have sweet things up to finish so can't use it at the minute

Old 05-24-2014, 05:22 AM
Apprentice

oasiscdm,

I used v1, I did not know 2 versions existed.

After a Google, I see that V2 is a two part sealer ( mix A and B chemicals ). I am not a chemist, but V1and other brands have been used extensively, waterproofing shower recesses etc, ( I am an ex Plumber). This type of product was just starting to be used instead of copper or stainless shower trays over 20 years ago, when I left the industry, I don't think a two pack sealer is required.

We will need to see if they break down over time. This will also this will apply to the two pack product.

Note that if you expect some expansion to happen, it may pay to use some duct tape over the joins, so that the sealer joint is concave at the junction between base and dome. See the product details for this. I did not worry about this because I used vermicrete that has some flex, compression/expansion and should not tear the barrier.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 05-31-2014, 03:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Steve.

Well after near 5 months of nothing. I actually managed to cut afl the decorative arch bricks and begin to lay them.

progress Photo's attached.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag1690.jpg   new build in werribee-imag1692.jpg   new build in werribee-imag1695.jpg   new build in werribee-imag1697.jpg   new build in werribee-imag1699.jpg  

new build in werribee-imag1700.jpg  

Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-31-2014 at 04:26 AM.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Colin,

I know what you mean about doing nothing, I guess we both decided it is time to try an finish up. Nice looking rounded edges on the your decorative arch bricks. As usual, a perfectionist. Next trip to Aussie land I will have to come see in person. Was there earlier this year but in the Queensland area only.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:30 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You are welcome anytime Russell. I will say though, they are bullnose bricks they come that way. So can't take credit. But I did do the rebates cut, and taper using angleiser.

The bricks are the same as my house bricks. I didn't nearly 2 months trying to source then then found them about 7klm from my place then took another month for seller to get them from his yard he then hdd wrong bricks sent double bullnose.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Got a little more done in the misty rain today.

Looks like some weird arse cuts coming up.

Russell - Did you see anyone when in Queensland?
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag1702.jpg   new build in werribee-imag1703.jpg  

Last edited by oasiscdm; 06-01-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey the suns out its a long weekend.......

Lets finish this......

Yayyyyyyyyyy