Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: new build in werribee

If you need to adjust your tiles on top of the CaSi use a dry mix only of sand and fire clay. CaSi and water do not like each other.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Russell

thanks for that. A quick question 50/50 mix of the 2?

Old 02-19-2013, 01:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Doug.

Interesting, have you done this yet?

I was thinking about that today at work as i have a lot of hebel adhesive left and was thinking about doing similar even after Russell's advice that it can float.

The thing i am wrestling with currently is.... should i seal the hebel as i have noticed it has a tendancy to absorb water [eg. condensation]. Since Hebel is my hearth i have sealed underneath before fixing it in place. Not sure if i should seal it under the calsil board, or do what you are doing with the Barrel Vault you consulting on.

Might aquiesce to your expertise when you see this message. Whats your view of tiles to calsil 50/50 or some other combination.

Dave [Cobblerdave] you have a fair grasp of Hebel and its properties what are your thoughts here..............

Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-19-2013 at 03:58 AM.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Colin,

50/50 fireclay/sand is what I used as a leveling medium only. I never intended to have a bond between concrete and insulation. Not that the hebel adhesive won't work if you want to fasten the CaSi to the concrete slab but not sure how the adhesive will work as a leveling medium. Like I said, lots a ways to skin the cat. Good luck.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 02-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thx Russell and Doug

Doug

I know Coffs well as I VolunteerAlways
an organistion where HO is based there. called Dads in Distress Support Services.

Thanks again

Im honored Your Build I See As Perfection So Your Advice Is always Welcomed

Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-19-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
All hebel cal sil and firebrick absorb water making it hard to level with fireclay sand and water mix . Use ordinary table margarine rubbed on the surfaces so they don't absorb water and make your leveler hard to work. It'll just burn off later. It's important to make sure the edges of you brick/tile touch before lowering them into position. Pushing them together will only result in the leveler getting caught between them and resulting in gapes.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 02-20-2013, 05:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Dave

Another Question For Anybody

Is There A Need For calsilBoard undert The Vent Area, And If Not What Can Be Substituted?

Old 02-21-2013, 04:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi DOug

I was concerned since the oven is always going to be in the weather, that the calsil board would disintegrate if wet, since there is little heat in vent it might not dry out. I will make a door for the front on oven as well as inner door to help keep dryish. I spoke to field furnace when I ordered tiles and they told me they had trouble with some ovens that have been cleaned out with water. The calsil apparently turns to powder.

My thinking was to not use the calsil for that reason, bit lay the 75mm tiles on Hebel and then 50mm granite on top of that in the vent area enclosing the tiles. Would look nicer too.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-21-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Colin,

Whether you decide to use Hebel or CaSi you can alway put on a thin brick or stone veneer over the Hebel or CaSi to enclose it. I did this with my build. I ended up trimming back the CaSi and Foamglas back 1" from the edge of the hearth brick then mortared in a 1" brick veneer so this insulation material in no longer exposed to the elements or food. Look near the bottom of the pics. Sorry I don't have a better detail.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-46a-course-8-finished-7.17.12.jpg   new build in werribee-final-arch.jpg   new build in werribee-56-cut-arch-8.14.12.jpg  

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 02-21-2013 at 02:14 PM. Reason: typos
Old 02-21-2013, 07:01 PM
Laborer

Hi Colin,
I have been watching your posts with interest as I am planning on a similar top structure. So I gather that others feel that so long as you use CalSi board the under floor insulation should be okay; and the hebel should stand up to the weight of the oven.
I was a bit worried about that and was planning on a 2 inch reinforced concrete layer then the same hebel sheets as you then a layer of verimicerete then the calsil. I know you can't have to much insulation but i'm not that tall and wanted to have space underneath to store wood.
looking forward to more photos.

My build so far

Starting out collecting info and materials