Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2014, 09:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: new build in werribee

Colin,

From what I've heard, an oven isn't complete until it's fully cured and broken in (experienced) and it sounds like that's exactly what you're doing!
cobblerdave likes this.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:21 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mine is beyond cured. Now the problem is keeping water off it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day Colin

having fun playing with the Vac sealer. One small problem the wife has claimed procession of said Vac sealer and I have to ask permission to use it.
I thought that one through too ....still didn't turn out exactly as planned

Regards Dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

Old 03-16-2014, 12:41 AM
Master Builder

Dave - While the special ones think they are in control then you are still in the position of significant influence. The secret of having your 'idea' adopted is to allow the one in control to think it was their idea.

Worked for me for a lifetime - on and off the job!

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 03-16-2014, 08:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dave,

What they say "Possession is nine tenths ownership" so better get the vacuum sealer back or go buy you another one........

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 03-16-2014, 09:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
and I have to ask permission to use it....
True. True....
Old 03-21-2014, 02:27 PM
Serf

Oasiscdm - when you say "twisted" brick... what do you mean? I am looking to do a semicircle arch with a flared vent area. Looking at inner arch of 19" wide, 12" high and my reveal at 1", so the inside of my vent arch (dimensions just outside of the inner arch) would be 21" wide and 13"high and the outside opening of the flared arch would be 24.5" wide and 14.75" high. I was looking at doing 21 arch bricks. Using the numbers from the angelizer, I would mark one end of the brick with those dimensions and the other end of the brick with the dimensions for a 21 brick arch that is the smaller size. Then I would taper the brick from front to back, while making the arch brick shape. Is that a twisted brick?

On your top bricks (post #623 pg 63) in pics #2,3,4,&5 that you see on the oven side of the vent opening.... do they maintain the L cut in the back to form the heat break like the lower course ones? Are they mortared to the inner arch or are they "self supporting" as part of an arch that doesn't touch the inner arch?

Are there additional photos/info you can share? You mentioned that you and John shared alot of info about the semicircle flared arch.
Thanks a bunch!
Old 03-22-2014, 04:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas View Post
Oasiscdm - when you say "twisted" brick... what do you mean? I am looking to do a semicircle arch with a flared vent area. Looking at inner arch of 19" wide, 12" high and my reveal at 1", so the inside of my vent arch (dimensions just outside of the inner arch) would be 21" wide and 13"high and the outside opening of the flared arch would be 24.5" wide and 14.75" high. I was looking at doing 21 arch bricks. Using the numbers from the angelizer, I would mark one end of the brick with those dimensions and the other end of the brick with the dimensions for a 21 brick arch that is the smaller size. Then I would taper the brick from front to back, while making the arch brick shape. Is that a twisted brick?

On your top bricks (post #623 pg 63) in pics #2,3,4,&5 that you see on the oven side of the vent opening.... do they maintain the L cut in the back to form the heat break like the lower course ones? Are they mortared to the inner arch or are they "self supporting" as part of an arch that doesn't touch the inner arch?

Are there additional photos/info you can share? You mentioned that you and John shared alot of info about the semicircle flared arch.
Thanks a bunch!
Hi Texas

John and my arch differ slightly from what you describe, as the top/front of the vent landing is lower at the front than the rear. The twisted brick as I refer relates to the inner face of the landing arches. To achieve correct alignment of the face the bottom face needs to be ground at one end of the brick, and the top of the other end. You will see this when you lay them out. You only do this until the flue gallery. My situation was a little different to John's as I was using arch bricks 75/51 75/65. John layed his inner arch against oven arch but cut angle at the rear so that minimal brick was touching dome, whereas mine were rebated around dome entry arch [L you refer] with maximum reveal as I wanted maximum entry area as I feel it looks better than narrow reveals.

I have loaded every photo I took onto this thread so sorry no other shots. The rebated bricks at the rear of the landing are all rebated including the top bricks. I layed ceramic tape around the outside of the dome arch, to insulate between landing and dome, and will also insulate the face with ceramic rope poked up in the gap. Yes I should have done this before now, so will have some cleaning of soot to do. I will then seal with hi temp silicon. The landing does not connect in any way to the dome it is separated by about 1cm top and front of entry arch.

Also note my reveal is not 1inch but is 3inch the rebate is 30mm.

I have included the photo john shared re twisted brick. Hope you don't mind john. The lower bricks in landing all need this done to align the face it is quite fiddly but worth it. The shape looks like its twisted.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-0-4-.jpg  

Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-22-2014 at 04:59 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:06 PM
Serf

Colin. Thanks. Very helpful.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

One of these weekends I will finish the oven. Another weekend lost having to do other things. arrrgh.

Still To do

Electrical work
Ceramic rope in gap at front between entry arch and inner landing arch
Decorative arch
My special top dead Centre piece for decorative arch
Finish render
Seal
Render base
Make 3 doors insulating door, blast door / weather door and hi temp glass door
Tool draw
Reseal deck
Install thermocouple reader install 6 thermocoúples
Then finish around the alfresco area

Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-23-2014 at 04:28 AM.