Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 03:27 PM
Laborer

Default Re: new build in werribee

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Hey Liteceeper

Curious that's one expensive vac, googled it. Did you get it cheaper than what I saw. Don't think i could justify that price with swmbo
Had them on special I think around the $270 mark with lots of extra bag material. If you save $1.00 or so for each kilo will only take 10 bags of Caputo to break even.

But good for storing toppings etc. also, I grow home vegetables which I blanch and freeze so you could get away with saying its multi purpose?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein
Old 02-23-2014, 06:59 PM
Journeyman

My Aldi one was about $70
$14 for a box with 2 rolls of bags in it.
Its been going for 2 or 3 years now.
Just got another box of bags, in a roll, a few weeks back.(still $14).

Its earned its keep just in no freezer burns on fish
Let alone bulk flour and rice and everything else.

I have enough food stored for the zombie apocalypse
Old 02-23-2014, 08:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hmm 70 vs 270. Hmmmm. Might have to go cheaply. If it dies, then spend up on quality.

I guess 2 years use would say it's good value.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:36 PM
Apprentice

If you are looking for another reason to buy a vac sealer you should try Sous Vide cooking. This is the antitheses of wood fired oven cooking in that you cook slow in a precise, temperature controlled water bath. We have a Sunbeam Sous Vide that cost about $180.

The steaks, chicken etc that we have cooked have been amazing. Because it is temp controlled every mm of food is cooked exactly as required (rare, medium etc) and because it is vacuum sealed no moisture escapes at all.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:52 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
If you are looking for another reason to buy a vac sealer you should try Sous Vide cooking. This is the antitheses of wood fired oven cooking in that you cook slow in a precise, temperature controlled water bath. We have a Sunbeam Sous Vide that cost about $180.

The steaks, chicken etc that we have cooked have been amazing. Because it is temp controlled every mm of food is cooked exactly as required (rare, medium etc) and because it is vacuum sealed no moisture escapes at all.
I enjoy the food from this style of cooking but have some issues about what volatile petro-chemicals are released from the plastic when heat is applied. The temps used in the process may not get to the point that makes things nasty but it depends on what you read I suppose.

I might stick to the natural flame generated heat processes until the jury comes back. Works for me and if you want slow cooked, the WFO does that to perfection. No plastic involved.

Just my humble opinion.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics

Last edited by Greenman; 02-25-2014 at 02:54 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:54 PM
Apprentice

Anyone know if the Caputo flour is also available in Brisbane somewhere? Hopefully for the same price you gents are getting it in Melbourne.

edit: ah I just read a few pages back that oasiscdm posted a contact number in QLD so will give that a try, thanks!

edit2: we really should be discussing the flour in its specific thread so it is easier for other people to find.
Might make a post in there.

Link/updated in the thread:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/51/m...o-16349-6.html (Molino Caputo pizza flour and San Marzano Tomatoes)

Last edited by applor; 02-25-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I copied the info over to that thread. Might i suggest people occasionally lift out to the top of the Aussie thread

Ok have purchased a vacuum sealer and been sealing everything I can. Flour coffee bean, vegetables.you name it or gets sealed.

OVEN UPDATE

Nothing done since Xmas, a couple layers of render and obtained some bulllnose decorative arch bricks the same as my house, took me 4 weeks to obtain once I sourced them. Drive post every day I was at work. So close but but just couldn't get them to my place, proprietor had no clue. But have them now so I can finish hopefully between now and Easter.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day Colin
Just for interest KMart is selling a vac packer for $110 and roll of plastic for $30.
Haven't seen it yet but the wife's rang me up to tell me we now own one. Great when she thinks its her idea
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 03-12-2014, 09:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Dave

How did you manage to so that seed.
That's why
I borrowed one from my uncle and have not stopped using it. I am sealing anything I can find. Hmmmmmmm haven't tried the missus yet . He had never used it other than when he first got it.

I have ordered one from Harvey Norman with a marinade feature lots of containers, roles a bit more expensive at 299 but asked for reduction they dropped to 225, last one in shop.

I now vacuum seal all meat. Leftovers, veges into serving sizes, sandwich meat. Pizza toppings, including cheese, and anything else, eg basil lasted 3 weeks and was still ok.

Dave get your bags online muchmuch cheaper.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-12-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Arrrrrghhhhhh two long weekends in a row and still no oven completion activity..

Other than cooking of course.
GianniFocaccia likes this.