Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 07:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: new build in werribee

Colin,

Happy New Years to you too. I am not sure a pizza oven is good for your figure. I am always on a "seefood" diet, I see it I eat it...........

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Russell

Simple solution to the weight issue. I have cooked in the oven everyday since Xmas. All on two firings. Whatever I eat had to fit on a butter plate. Only exception was Xmas day and new years eve. But even then I ate not that much more. Lost 12 kg before xmas and am still around the 11kg loss. So all in all doing ok. Freezer is full though.

Tonight I cooked kleftico, now that dish is too die for. Couldn't believe cooking it at 350c for 4 hours, would work when I saw this on tv. It simply melted on your mouth. Was dry in parts next time I will seal the pan more thoroughly and add just a tad more water.

Sorry no photos was starving and it smelt like it wanted to be eaten

Old 01-02-2014, 07:13 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post

I would like to thank all those that have helped me with my build your assistance had been more than invaluable. I would like to especially thank, Doug, John, Dave, David, Russell, Dennis, sharkey, kb,. Thanks to you all for your time observations, skills and knowledge.

Your build is one of the superb well thought out creations of this forum and deserves a mention as one of the treasure troves after your completion.

Thanks for saying thanks, although I feel that there are many more skilled then I and deserve my thanks also. Thanks again.

Quote:

This was taken the other night Son bought back a chefs hat and apron from Paris. Look like a dork and I don't think the color is appropriate.
Nice hat and apron. I also received a chefs hat, less the colors from my buddy for Christmas. What's the point if we can't have fun cooking in our WFO with our dorky hats. That what its all about.

KB

Old 01-03-2014, 04:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks for that KB.

However like you have found the cooking aspect more fun. Been working on the door of and on. Not worried about render off some yet Planning that for Australias day weekend off off course I'm not cooking

door will be fully isolated, SS as I Am adapting dino plans.

To hold heat door will be 5" thick. Some say to big but it will be very well balanced. 3 layers of SS, sandwiching 50mm calsil and 75mm hebel. Have come up with a unique design so I can pull it apart and experiment with different types insulation [based on Dino's drawings with some modifications]. Will post photos when it's done.

Thanks again KB for compliment.

Crack report...

So far not cracks any where and have used it everyday since xmas

Last edited by oasiscdm; 01-04-2014 at 03:44 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:30 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Thanks for that KB.

However like you have found the cooking aspect more fun. Been working on the door of and on. Not worried about render off some yet Planning that for Australias day weekend off off course I'm not cooking

door will be fully isolated, SS as I Am adapting dino plans.

To hold heat door will be 5" thick. Some say to big but it will be very well balanced. 3 layers of SS, 50mm calsil and 75mm hebel. Have come up with a unique design do I can pull it apart and experiment. Will post photos when it s done.

Thanks again KB for compliment.

Crack report...

So far not cracks any where and have used it everyday since Christmas

Australias day weekend off off course??????

Can't wait to see the photos of your door. I will have to take a look at Dino's, I haven't found a design that suits my fancy yet. Well insulated for me as well. My doors are a long way off, must finish the stucco and counters first. I can get by with my temporary for now.

KB

Old 01-04-2014, 03:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
Australias day weekend off off course??????

Hi KB

Australia day is a public holiday over here so a long weekend. Will do render then.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Was looking at Brissie thread and noticed he tried a sour dough pizza [nice one Brissie].

Has anyone mastered a wholemeal pizza base and if so what flour was used?

I was thinking of using Atta wholemeal flour but am looking for alternatives that others have tried. I actually prefer wholemeal bases but have never actually attempted it. Used to have a local pizza shop that would had these on his menu.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Was looking at Brissie thread and noticed he tried a sour dough pizza [nice one Brissie].

I was thinking of using Atta wholemeal flour but am looking for alternatives that others have tried. I actually prefer wholemeal bases but have never actually attempted it. Used to have a local pizza shop that would had these on his menu.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The streets flue experiment did not work. Pizza looked great cooked will but was soft and not crispy.. made dough the same way as normal dough that works well.

Any ideas?

Last edited by oasiscdm; 01-11-2014 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

To make a whole meal bread loaf it is more successful if you add only a small proportion of whole meal eg around 30% and 70% plain. I'd say commercial Australian whole meal bread contains probably around 10% whole meal. 100% whole meal results in a very dense loaf. Pizza bases probably the same.