Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: new build in werribee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
KBart is right: The ceiling soot starkly displays the accuracy and symmetry of your beautiful brick cuts. Once it clears, you'll see you can go black and go back!

Nicely done, sir!
LOL......... that ain't how the saying goes.........He right on the smoke stains tell the truth well done. Good job........... it's all pink at that point......

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:23 PM
Master Builder

Thx John and kb.

Compliments coming from you guys do make the effort worthwhile.
John as I have said yours is the prettiest build, and I thank you for all your assistance as we built those difficult landings flared and dropped front arch. All that shaving grinding helped the smoke flow. I was amazed when I watched the hat beads soot up the entry. Watching all that black stuff displaying up the flue was quite amazing. Wished I had got that on video. It was all over in about 30 seconds.

When do you feel I should build to clearing temps. As I can do that with the curing device or start with wood?.

My Build -

Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-16-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:18 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Never use the two fuels at the same time, it's really dangerous. Should the flame fail, you will have an oven full of hot gas waiting to ignite. You may then have to start rebuilding your oven piece by piece.

THx David not what I meant. I meant OR not 'and'. have fixed the error.

My Build -
Old 12-17-2013, 12:26 AM
Master Builder

Well I got home dropped my make shift pulley cover. Put the plastic over the dome, threw a couple of bags of heat beads on, tossed in a card board box and temperature on the walls is now at 350c and top of dome about 415c walls not clearing, floor around 210c.

Now I'm curious with the plastic over the dome there is no condensation.
I have now kept the oven around 250c for 4 days having built up to this over 2 days. I have increase temp up to those mentioned above.

So does that mean the water is gone? and can I crank it up and head towards clearing fires

Plastic has been on now for around 3 hours since getting home. Still not wet. I went out about 9pm and there was condensation removed the plastic to allow the blanket to air dry.

Tossed a little wood in [see photo below its trying to clear].

Previously condensation would form within 5 minutes.

I also decided I might as well use the heat so I prepared a chook

Smoked Paprika rubbed Chicken [under skin] with macadamia, roasted pine nut, maple syprup and thyme stuffing.
Will cook it tomorrow night in whatever heat is there.

David KB John FYI it was very cool watching the dome clear and the Dome Keystone reappearing very cool.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag1368.jpg   new build in werribee-imag1369.jpg   new build in werribee-imag1371.jpg   new build in werribee-imag1372.jpg   new build in werribee-imag1374.jpg  

new build in werribee-imag1375.jpg  

My Build -

Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-17-2013 at 04:14 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:31 AM
Master Builder

Thx John and kb.

Compliments coming from you guys do make the effort worthwhile.
John as I have said yours is the prettiest build, and I thank you for all your assistance as we built those difficult landings flared and dropped front arch. All that shaving grinding helped the smoke flow. I was amazed when I watched the hat beads soot up the entry. Watching all that black stuff displaying up the flue was quite amazing. Wished I had got that on video. It was all over in about 30 seconds.

When do you feel I should build to clearing temps. As I can do that with the curing device as well as wood?.

My Build -
Old 12-17-2013, 06:31 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Since three hours passed without any moisture, it appears your choice of wood was appropriate. Watching the dome clear must've been pretty gratifying, yes? . Would love to hear your report on any (hairline) cracks.

I am intrigued that in pic #1 the last course of light-colored bricks completely cleared first instead of the dome clearing across the top. The Circle of Life or Aura of yin/yang perhaps?
Old 12-17-2013, 07:49 AM
Master Builder

Colin,
Glad to see the dome cleared. Congratulations! If I remember correctly, after my dome cleared I continued adding wood slowly and held it at max temperature for several hours.

It's your call! I thought I was through my curing stages because of the prolonged high temperature held for several hours each day. I had several cooking fires that were brought to temperature slowly over several hours. My first crack did not appear until I lit a kindling fire to start the cool oven. I had been using charcoal started in a chimney starter then pour on the oven floor. The roaring fire must have created a great temperature deferential close to my inner arch. I think the key is slow heating to max temperature for many firings to give the oven break-in time (or until you get your first crack--LOL). Just my opinion, I really love the keystone clearing.

BTW....Do you have a thermocouple on the outside of the brick? This will tell you if you have saturated your bricks thoroughly with heat. I think that also needs to be taken into account during curing . If the temperature is relatively close to the inside, you can be sure there is no moisture trapped within the brick. At that point, I say...FIRE AWAY!

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 12-17-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

From what you've said, the fuel you've gone through and the pics provided, I'd say it's ready to ramp up the temp. Just remember that you can take it too fast and risk damage, but you can never take it too slow.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Colin,

Isn't the extra work to do the yin/yang plug worth it? Now everytime you clear the dome you can look in and see it. Congrats.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 12-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Laborer

Great piccies Colin.That keystone breaking through the soot must have been a very cool moment.
Im pretty much at the same stage as you with the fires as my condensation has seemed to have dissapeared aswell..Im thinking of ramping it up today with a steady temp. of around 300`C-350`C.
Ill be interested to see what you do.
Great Work.