Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 02:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: new build in werribee

Hi Dave and thanks

I hadn't thought about it that way. I actually screwed the base on. I was thinking that i need to shim about 1/2", so i was going to put plastic over the arch form in the hope that when i remove the shims it just falls down and would be easy to remove.

Now thinking that wont work might have to rejig the arch form.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Lots of way to skin the cat, chose what works for you and your situation. You just need a way to release the form after the arch is set and not break or damage the arch.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 02-13-2013, 02:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well have ordered calsil board. Picking up on Friday. Was that a difficult task, nearly as challenging as 75mm tiles, most have 25mm, wanted 50mm, anyhow found and ordered. I picked up just a few arch bricks 75/65 and 75/51 to play around with combinations to make a 1metre dome.

Got to thinking about a dome form (half circle) attached to a lazy Suzanne like device for dome construction, don't ask why just can't get oven details out of my head.

I have also sorted some good quality arch bricks for a good price.

Getting there, just waiting on saw mods

Old 02-13-2013, 06:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Colin,

With the 16" saw you have you can do any any you want for your arch bricks. There is a software called Angelizer, it's free to download ("www.generaltools.com"). Hope I don't get in trouble by the mods for posting a link. It helps you determine the taper of the arch bricks based on the radius of the arch, size of brick and mortar joint size.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 02-13-2013 at 06:18 AM. Reason: correct link
Old 02-14-2013, 04:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

hi and thanks Russell

I have downloaded that software previously had hassles trying too get head around it. i decided to by enough arch bricks to well, basically play. I am hoping i have an answer in the next 3 days to my challenge.

The theory is that if you form an arch at one metre wide [internal] then raise it then spin it around [visually] that would form the dome. That will give me the combination of 75/65 and 75/51 bricks needed to form the dome.

its a only a theory so while waiting for the brick saw too arrive then i can play until i work the bloody combination out.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Collin,

I am not sure what you mean by spinning arch around but here are a sequence of pictures I did to do a tapered inner arch. A tapered inner arch allows the brick course of the dome to tie-in to the arch with approximately the same arc angle as the dome, hence less custom and complex brick cutting. The first picture show how you can cut brick for the arch (you won't need this if you are buying pretapered bricks). The second picture, far left brick, show the angles for a inside taper of the arch the matches the arc of the dome. These angles can be determine by your IT (see picture 4)or go to Gianna Focacia's thread he uses a dome template to help determine angles. The third picture, far right brick show a template I made from the Anglelizer program to make the arch bricks from regular bricks. I know it is difficult to sometimes visualize, keep looking at various builds with tapered inside arches and the light bulb will come on. Also look at Karangi Dude's build, he was one of the first to build a tapered inner arch. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-34-inner-arch-6.18.12.jpg   new build in werribee-34a-inner-arch-6.18.12.jpg   new build in werribee-34b-inner-arch-6.18.12.jpg   new build in werribee-41a-course-5-7.4.12.jpg  
Moose4Life likes this.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 02-14-2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: typos
Old 02-14-2013, 01:19 PM
Master Builder

Yeah the xanthorrea look great

Old 02-14-2013, 02:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Russell

The spinning arch contraption was a device i had been thinking of. basically it is a wooden half circle with 90 deg wings [smaller] for stability on an pivot that spins around inside the dome. It is shaped to whatever dome shape you might be looking at eg. hemispherical, flat flatter emulating the same shape as inner dome interchangeable with the it. I was thinking about this contraption as I was working the combination of 63 and 51 arch bricks to build the dome when layed out i thought if i could stand that up and spin it around.

I looked at angelizer but really coudn't work it out. Actually no inclination to work it out as it didnt appear to be able to put in mutliple brick sizes besides I worked in Info Tech in a previous life makes me sick now but i might revisit.

Really it was just my imagination running rampant as i cannot get this oven out of my head i am living and breathing it to the exclusion of all else.

Thanks again Russell I will use that post and method and i hope i have cleared the spining arch contraption.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:02 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If I get this right, this is really a different type of a IT made to a 1/4 circle plywood disc. This is how Gianni Focacia did his inner arch. See thread link

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/octoforno-7122-7.html (OctoForno)

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 02-14-2013, 05:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Russell

Yes thats right but not a quarter but a half circle on a lazy Suzanne as we call them over here.
If usnure its a device that people put in the middle of the table and then put food onit so that everyone can spin it around to bring various items closer.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 02-15-2013 at 01:07 AM.