Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 08:08 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: new build in werribee

Arrrrgh every time I go too work out on WFO it rains, but why almost most weekends. Then I go to work and its nice and sunny. I thought it was spring/summer.

Anyhow got the hole in the tile cut in between rain bursts. Thermowells ready. Templates marked out for decorative arch.

My Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:16 AM
Master Builder

Hi here was the process I used should anyone else wish to try this.
Cut out a square within the circumference of the circle for the flue. I used a 6" diamond cutting wheel on a 5" grinder. BE VERY CAREFULE as the guard needs removing.

I then held the grinder on an angle and cut horizontal grooves into the tile from the square into the brick to the marked circle. then knocked this out and tideied up by moving the grinder held flat up and down the edge. I did this until half way throught he tile.

I stood it up like in pic 4 and then cut vertical grooves to the line of the circle and then knocked these out with the hammer and then tidied up the circle the came way by running the grinder up and down horizontally to give me the circle I needed.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag1197.jpg   new build in werribee-imag1198.jpg   new build in werribee-imag1199.jpg   new build in werribee-imag1200.jpg   new build in werribee-imag1201.jpg  

new build in werribee-imag1203.jpg  

My Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 11-23-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:29 AM
Master Builder

Part 2 of the process.

Required making the flue gallery [exit flow] as smooth as possible. I used a die grinder with 40 grit bits to grind the square corners and edges to fit the flue gallery dimensions.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag1204.jpg   new build in werribee-imag1205.jpg   new build in werribee-imag1206_burst002.jpg   new build in werribee-imag1207.jpg   new build in werribee-imag1208.jpg  

new build in werribee-imag1209.jpg  

My Build -

Last edited by oasiscdm; 11-23-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:05 AM
Master Builder

Superb work Colin. Look forward to seeing it on the oven.

Is your spring/summer considered your rainy season? We are in fall/winter season here, very dry of the time.............. I need your motivation then maybe I could get my stucco job finished......."Just Do It"...... Of course our rainy is still many months away.................

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 11-23-2013 at 03:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-23-2013, 04:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
BE VERY CAREFULE as the guard needs removing...
Is the guard that half-circle metal thingy? When I buy grinders, that goes into the garbage with the handle and case.

Nice work on the throat Colin...very clean.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 11-23-2013, 04:36 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
Superb work Colin. Look forward to seeing it on the oven.

Is your spring/summer considered your rainy season? We are in fall/winter season here, very dry of the time.............. I need your motivation then maybe I could get my stucco job finished......."Just Do It"...... Of course our rainy is stay many months away.................
Well not normally, more windy than rainy. Normal weather is dry and warm but lately very winterish.

Am hoping to get it on the oven tomorrow. My motivation is called Xmas. I need it operational by then. Don't care if the render [stucco] is not on it. Just insulated and cured will do me. then finish on the other side of xmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Is the guard that half-circle metal thingy? When I buy grinders, that goes into the garbage with the handle and case.

Nice work on the throat Colin...very clean.
Yes stonecutter, it is that half circle thingy. I keep the guards for cut off wheels, mainly as it stops crap being shot into your face.

Thanks for the compliments, took most of the day though to get it right and sized to the gallery.
Guess I succeeded in putting round peg in a square hole.

My Build -

Last edited by oasiscdm; 11-23-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:

Yes stonecutter, it is that half circle thingy. I keep the guards for cut off wheels, mainly as it stops crap being shot into your face.
I was attempting humor there Colin. ....but I really do chuck them with the case and handle every time. I won't recommend operating without a guard to others, but I never use them myself. They limit the use of the grinder too much for my liking. I do wear safety glasses though...I don't use the safety squint method anymore.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 11-23-2013, 07:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Colin,

Wow, round hole, square peg. Nice work, just like everything else on your build. Suggestion, make sure the anchor plate is completely level, test fit the chimney piping and check for plump. I did not and my chimney is slightly out of plumb and no way to adjust now.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 11-23-2013, 01:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice job on the hole, only problem is it will probably go click and crack when it gets hot as youve taken all the strength out of it.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:29 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Well not normally, more windy than rainy. Normal weather is dry and warm but lately very winterish.

Am hoping to get it on the oven tomorrow. My motivation is called Christmas I need it operational by then. Don't care if the render [stucco] is not on it. Just insulated and cured will do me. then finish on the other side of Christmas.
Pardon the correction Colin, hope ya don't mind. My holiday motivation has come and gone maybe Christmas. I hope get her tidied up by then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Nice job on the hole, only problem is it will probably go click and crack when it gets hot as youve taken all the strength out of it.
Great job Colin,............................ All ovens crack Brickie, you know that.........where is your optimism?

KB