Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 04:58 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: new build in werribee

Nice one Dave About 2 months left its in 3rd trimester. Due date Xmas day. No way it will be prem.

My Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:04 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post

So if all goes according to plan I should have some more pics up over the next few days of Dome completion and landing under way.
Hey Collin,
Wondering how things are going. Was looking forward to those pics. Hope all went according to plan.

I'm procrastinating and my stucco. Looking for some motivation.

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:58 AM
Master Builder

Unhappy Re: new build in werribee

Hi KB

Well I did have a whole host of photo's to post but made a big booboo. I had worked on my landing as I had issues with my keystone when I got it back. So it cannot go in yet and I wont get it back now until end of November.

So I moved to my landing spent some time reforming my arch forms to accommodate the change in plans. I am doing the Flared entry as I posted ages ago, ummed and arrhed but in end why not. I am rebating the back edge around the entry arch [like yours KB] by around 75mm. Dropping the front form about 1.5" lower than the rear like John's (Octoforno) [have been discussing this with him for a while as he was doing much the same thing, thx John much apprecaited].

Got too the course 5 jthe point I start the flue gallery and when swapping emails with John I noticed a major flaw based on his figures. I would have had only 5" x 20" to the opening of the vent, for an 8" flue tapering would have reduced it further - damn shit bum poo not happy . Took to what I had done with a rubber mallet.

Do you know it took ages laying it [see Octoforno post quite tricky to do working on multiple plains] but only 3 minutes to demolish it .... Cleaned the bricks made some mods and now I have 9.5" front to back and still the 20" width before the bricks form the flue. I will be having minimal depth on the rear Flue gallery arch.

I managed to lay 2.5 rows before dark caught up with me. As I said it is quite fiddly matching the forms of differing heights and widths but its much easier to do the second time. So pretty much have got little done in 4 days thanks to the demolition job.

You can see how I gained the extra length with the vertical brick I placed at the front of the base. This means my decorative arch will now only be 2" thick.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag1080.jpg   new build in werribee-imag1079.jpg   new build in werribee-imag1096.jpg  

My Build -

Last edited by oasiscdm; 11-08-2013 at 04:43 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:14 AM
Master Builder

Well I got the reworked landing done - Photo's below.

I just want to acknowledge John [Octoforno] for his assistance in sharing his knowledge with me while he achieved completion of his landing. Like Johns landing mine is flared and lower at the front making the angles quite awkward. John actually invented the twisted brick. . The only difference is I rebated my landing around the Entry Arch. I was originally going to have a full reveal [landing going completely around the Entry Arch] but decided KB look was more appealing. This method has isolated the landing completely from the dome. The cardboard template I made is in the previous post, made the marking and cutting easy.

Hopefully I will get the rest of the landing done this weekend.

Dome still not closed - I promise it will be soon.

With a Selfie and also the dog sunning itself in the garden.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag1077.jpg   new build in werribee-imag1085.jpg   new build in werribee-imag1088.jpg   new build in werribee-imag1091.jpg   new build in werribee-imag1092.jpg  

new build in werribee-imag1093.jpg  

My Build -

Last edited by oasiscdm; 11-08-2013 at 04:46 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:15 AM
Laborer

Hi Colin
Landing coming along nice, like the thermal break, waiting to see the keystone.
Dog looks like he/she enjoying the Japanese Garden, thought being the supervisor would object to the Japanese safety boots.

My Door -

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein
Old 11-08-2013, 05:22 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liteceeper View Post
Hi Colin
Landing coming along nice, like the thermal break, waiting to see the keystone.
Thx liteceeper. Me too

My Build -
Old 11-08-2013, 06:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Colin,

Flared landing is looking good. All the detail work on the dome prepared you for the multiple angles of a flared entry. Almost there............

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 11-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Master Builder

I can taste it. Hey Russell will be looking at your flute construction soon. Hopefully next weekend.

My Build -
Old 11-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Master Builder

Nice work on the the flared entry.........You have much more confidence in yourself than I had for myself when I considered the flared landing briefly. I said no way after thinking about all the complicated cuts and decided the on the kiss principle. The twisted brick idea would have been far above my pay grade.

I really wanted to have a lip of some sort to help channel the smoke up the chimney. I was a little concerned that I would have smoke coming out the front of my oven entry. After firing the oven I decided the draw on the chimney was working pretty good and decided I could omit the lip on my decorative arch. This allowed more room to maneuver tools and such. The twisted brick idea gives you the best of both worlds. I was a little worried about being oversized on my flue, but at this point all seems well.

Can't wait to see more, keep up the good work.

Ps. My taped thermocouple end idea failed. I should have used a higher temperature glass tape. I pulled the TC located on the very top of the dome. It had seen temps upwards to 900F and was still working but I decided to pull it to have a check, the tape and PFE insulation was shot. All the others are still working fine. Although I did buy a spool of the high temperature fiber glass wire and replaced the one. I may leave the others till they go bad.

KB

Last edited by kbartman; 11-08-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:48 AM
Master Builder

Thx KB

I just wish to ensure John [Octoforno] gets credit for the twisted brick idea. When doing a flared arch the way John and I have [where the front landing arch is lower and wider than the rear landing arch] and you place the bricks [dry fit] you can see the angles that need to be shaved to maintain the brick faces on the inside of the landing.

You only need to maintain this until you get to the landing flue gallery.

Then the bricks need to maintain being parallel front to back as these flue gallery bricks begin to follow a line to the middle of the landing [away from the entry arch itself], due to the angle [flare] of the supporting structure below more shaving and measuring. Very fiddly but was actually fun.

Just remember I had a lot of assistance from John in achieving this he pioneered it on his build and provided pictures to me as he completed his, he is a source of so much valuable detailed information.

All I added was the isolation technique of rebating the front landing around the Entry arch and ceramic tape like you did KB.

I will post some process pictures later showing the technique I followed, including templates I made to assist the process.

Shame about the thermocouples KB priced some the other day $38 for the thermo couple, $54 for the thermo well, $12 for a coupling. they were stainless steel 6mm but to me way to much.

My Build -

Last edited by oasiscdm; 11-09-2013 at 04:51 AM.