Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 03:57 AM
Laborer

Default Re: new build in werribee

Hey Col, Glad i'm not the only one who has had a break. I've kind of stalled for a bit but ive been away and now im just getting rid of other jobs around the house, I'll be back into it before too long. Your oven looks pretty bloody good to me. I can barely even notice the droop your talking about. Mortar joints look good too. You and I are at about the same stage at the moment so I know how your feeling. Not long before the finishing touches and then its home made pizza for tea. Cant wait.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sh$t Colin
You have forgotten One thing . That dome of yours is fully set, cured ,done the full time . Insulate that puppy with dry insulation . Don't bother with the pearlite/ cement layer to get it pretty. A stucco layer or 2 will make it .
Recon that's ready for those fires now.
Go fire it
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Dave and Stevo

There is only one problem with that Dave. The Keystone has not been completed. Next weekend and I still need a kiln.

Sorry will be Shiraliting the Dome, then Blanket, then Render [Stucco]. so not far away.

David b4 you comment - yes I know the blanket is a better insulator, than shiralite but i'm following what I have discussed with a professional commercial oven/furnace builder with 30 years behind him. so its shiralite, blanket, then the stucco. I know on Forno its the other way.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Colin
Fair enough .. You have been sticking to your plan up to this time
Continue with it
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 10-06-2013, 04:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

yeah Dave I have sometimes I wish I could just let it go and do it the way you said. Would be eating Pizza now.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Hey Dave and Stevo

David b4 you comment - yes I know the blanket is a better insulator, than shiralite but i'm following what I have discussed with a professional commercial oven/furnace builder with 30 years behind him. so its shiralite, blanket, then the stucco. I know on Forno its the other way.
It won't make much difference either way, but you may find the blanket a bit lumpy where there are overlaps and folds. That's a big reason why people use vermicrete over the blanket. You might just end up with having to use a really thick layer of render. Maybe if you have some shiralite left over you can fill some of the valleys with it.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi David

FYI when I purchased my blanket I decided the seller had 3 boxes of 50 mm x 100mm x 6m strips. equivalent of 60cm x 6m blanket for a bloody great price.

At the time I was thinking it would be easier to lay without all the lumps and bumps. Anyhow I will find out soon enough if my theory is correct.

I could lattice them, wrap them one way then the other.

I tried the shiralite 2 inch thickness in a pot. Here is the the photo it is very solid. it's like solid insulfluff
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0984.jpg  

Last edited by oasiscdm; 10-06-2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Hi David

FYI when I purchased my blanket I decided the seller had 3 boxes of 50 mm x 100mm x 6m strips. equivalent of 60cm x 6m blanket for a bloody great price.

At the time I was thinking it would be easier to lay without all the lumps and bumps. Anyhow I will find out soon enough if my theory is correct.

I could lattice them, wrap them one way then the other.

I tried the shiralite 2 inch thickness in a pot. Here is the the photo it is very solid. it's like solid insulfluff
Col, Where were you able to get the Shiralite? That's Shinagawa brand isn't it?
Old 10-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Stevo

Yes, from shinagawa, I obtained it from fire brick and refractory in sunshine west.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 10-06-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: new build in werribee

Gudday Colin
What's the keystone made out of that requires a kiln?
Regards dave

My Build

My Door