Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 09:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: new build in werribee

I used a dremel type tool with a diamond etching tip. The sun was a stencil I had made for another project, just stenciled the brick, etch with dremel then slurried etched area with a contrasting Portland slurry and wiped off. Have fun, it will be a nice touch to you build and you can peek in and see it everytime your dome clears........

Tip, don't make to intricate, the bricks do not seem to handle really detailed designs to well due to the coarseness of the brick material.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Think I have it russell. Will pm you so surprise for others.

Thanks crocau, yes it has been difficult to achieve, as Russell pointed out one in his thread every brick needs to be cut meticulously, so the fancy jig helped a lot but still needed adjustment with shims it's not perfect [patience got to me on occasions].

I am going to run a slurry over surface and then buff off, short of polishing hopefully do that today with clay and cement just to close the more open joins.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:49 PM
Apprentice

With the expansion under heat I would wait till after you cured and had few full fires
Old 08-17-2013, 05:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Crocau

Good point!!!!

Old 08-18-2013, 12:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Didn't do much today cut out all bar the keystone for course 12.

Found another use for my dismantled IT.... thought this is cool, using it as a stand for course 12. Will use Giannifocaccia method of gouging the top bottom and sides of bricks worked a treat over the last 2 courses once positioned they don't budge no IT needed either.

Plug is quite sizeable as I had to cut the top angle off the arch bricks as they were tilting in over 90deg, now they are sitting at about 87deg [just to get that wedge happening]. I will need to use the tile offcuts I kept, for the plug and do it in 2 horizontal pieces. Octoplug achieved thanks John.

I have done the best I can to stay on bond all through the build and other than one spot on course 12 have managed to achieve this.

Have something special like Russell's plug planned. Not sure how to go about it yet but stay tuned.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0928.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0929.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0930.jpg  

Last edited by oasiscdm; 08-18-2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:51 AM
Master Builder

Looking good Colin. Almost there, can't wait to see your plug design and logo. Nice brick work, hope you plug her soon...

KB

Old 08-21-2013, 03:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi KB

It will be balanced

Old 08-21-2013, 05:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Hi KB

It will be balanced
That must be some kind of hint (maybe from a Libra?) just guessing.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

It is....and no not Libra. good guess though

Old 08-24-2013, 01:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Russell

I am curious to know what attachment you used to etch your keystone.

Any chance of a photo.