Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 01:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: new build in werribee

Hi all

With Xmas and New year out of the way I was able to get stuck in to the base for the WFO. So I thought i should post some update photos of my build.

Cheers Colin
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0408.jpg   new build in werribee-p1031042.jpg   new build in werribee-2013-01-05-18.26.03.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0409.jpg  
Old 01-09-2013, 02:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here are some more photos. I am supporting the hebel panel oven base with the metal lintel pictured [immediately under the the internal arch] and will also support the front of the panel with a hebel block supported by a lighter lintel. Over hang at the front will be around 150-200mm to get the 1600 - 1700 depth needed but this will only be supporting the very front of the arch.

Just not sure whether to have the hebel block across the front [of the base] vertical cut to 100mm or horizontal.

Cheers
Colin
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0410.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0411.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0413.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0414.jpg  

Last edited by oasiscdm; 01-09-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have a general question but am not sure if anyone can answer this due to my choice of using hebel panel [well supported] as the top of my base structure.

Oven builders out there seem to use vermicrete 75-125mm then insulating brick 75mm then fire brick up to 75mm for there base as per FB plans.

Since i am using the Hebel Panel 75mm, i intend using 50mm calsil baord with 65mm Fire Brick tiles on top of this. From CSR specifiers Hebel Panel has insulating properties so i am wondering if i need more than the calsil and firebrick, takingthis into consideration. My intention is to be able to cook over at least 2-3 days once the oven is fired.

Can anyone out there assist me here, as usual your ideas and input are more than welcomed as the assistance i find given on this site is invaluable. As they say more heads are better than one.
Cheers Colin
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0418.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0421.jpg  

Last edited by oasiscdm; 01-14-2013 at 02:56 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
65 mm firebrick ......heaps of thermal mass . With 50 cal sil and the hebel to keep the heat from leaking away ......I think you will be right.
On thermal mass the down side is the amount of wood and fire time to get the mass fully saturated can be considerable more. With a well insulated oven ( and door) if you find yourself with not enough temp a short fire will bring a cooling oven back to temp. I have cooked pizza on fri night closed the oven up till Sunday arvo temps are sub 100c a short fire and we are back to 120 150s and roasts and bread rolls..
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thx Dave very fast response that's what I love about this site. Took your advice and supported the Hebel Panel more than I was originally. Actually allowed me to use some metal I have had hanging around for about 10years. Always thought it might come in handy. Point proven don't throw stuff away that you feel might come in handy in the future.

Cheers Colin
Old 01-25-2013, 11:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thought i would post some more photos but pretty much at a standstill [compressor blew up had to buy a new one so short of oven funds for a bit, waiting for a mate to make a brick saw tray etc]. Finished inner arch template and hoping 20"x12.5" is correct for 1 metre [39"].

I'm now trying to get my head around a number of things that i am having trouble visualing prior to getting the materials for the oven base.

Trying to get my head around the IT and inner arch brick cuts been looking at Russell [Utahbeehiver] Doug [karangi dude] Octoforno builds. Looks simple when you look at their builds.

Some seem to get two arch bricks from a single brick is that the norm?
I have noticed the inner arch sticks out 1-2" from the dome? Is that just how it works out?

Maybe i'll wait until i get my bricksaw back with a Utahbeehiver modified tray [yes Russell i know you stole it froom others ] and get my materials.

Cheers Colin
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0442.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0443.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0444.jpg  
Old 01-25-2013, 11:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Are you going to lay your oven dome on a plastic sheet?

Old 01-26-2013, 12:40 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Are you going to lay your oven dome on a plastic sheet?
LOL No I was using my template to visualise what i am meant to do, position, inner arch and all of that.

Hang on I'm meant to be confused, not you .

I will be laying it on Cal sil board 50mm and 50mm refractory tiles or thicker if i can get them if not 75mm Firebrick possibly.

Cheers and still laughing.
Colin

Last edited by oasiscdm; 01-26-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hows this for bad timing........ damn damn damn

Spent yesterday trying to get some cheap freight from Sydney to Melbourne to deliver some Tiles from Field Furnace as they have some 76mm tiles. Toll wanted $700, end up getting a mate to organise it for $100 doable in the broader scheme of things. Ordered at 3.30pm.

On way to a group i facilitate [Dads in Distress Support Services for those that may need it] 90 minutes later, i get a call from Ben [Berwick build] telling me he first thought of me [re looking for thicker tiles than 50mm]. He managed to get onto some 600 x 300 or 200 x 80mm was selling for $20 each. Damn damn damn 2 hours earlier or me waiting 24 hours.

never mind other than freight worked out at a very similar price. $60 more. can live with that.

Cheers Colin

Old 02-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have a question for the experts out in the forno world. Since normal and arch fire bricks are the same cost in Australia.

How many of each type of brick would be needed to build a dome with minimal mortar joints eg. 2-3mm only, to make a 1 metre internal wfo. I am looking at 51 and 65 or 51 and 63. what row would use which brick to form the dome. Does anyone have this information handy?.

Cheers Colin